High latency to external hosts

Hello! I couldn't seem to find any posts related to this with a quick search, first time here :slight_smile:

First few weeks using OpenWRT, I enjoy networking concepts and would like to put some into practice with my home network as an enthusiast.

My problem that I am asking help for diagnosing and hopefully resolving is a one of latency.

Ping to the router over wireless typically range between 1-3ms, which im satisfied with.
Bench marking my network connection a known stable provider (1.1.1.1) averages 25ms, which im satisfied with.

The problem that is occurring is high latency when playing more latency sensitive operations like online gaming. One example is playing Call of Duty MW yields an average ping of 90ms, before my upgrade to OpenWRT I typically averaged 40ms. Ignoring the specifics it comes down to a noticable increase in latency which I am not satisfied with.

Steps I have taken so far:

1. Tried an old router with whatever firmware it has to verify this problem does not occur normally.
  2. Monitored for interference on WLAN
  3. A good ole reboot.

Current setup:

• Linksys WRT 1900acswith OpenWrt 19.07.3 r11063
  • 4 Wireless stations, "Main" 5G&2G, an IOT-2G, and a Guest-2G. IOT and Guest are on their own segregated interfaces and firewall zones.
  • dnsmasq forwarding requests to local dnssec-proxy2.
  • adblock (suspended/disabled)

Device Specs:

• 1.6 GHz dual-core ARM-based
  • 128MB Flash storage
  • 512MB DDR3 RAM
  • AC1900 Dual-band Gigabit wireless, 600+1300 Mbps

Im looking for advice on what possible steps to take to diagnose where this extra latency is occurring, and possible steps to correct the issue.

First time using OpenWRT and posting here, looking forward to contributing further and appreciate taking the time to read this or assist in any way you can!

This sounds like bufferbloat, try configuring SQM with CAKE.

OpenWRT won't QoS by default. The configuration is easy but please read the documentation thoroughly before doing it.

1 Like

Awesome! That worked. I had a few issues getting it dialed in, and ended up having to put my max around 70% of my actual connection speed, but the quality has greatly increased and now remains consistent.

Thank you @Dynamo!

Awesome!
It's pretty difficult to determine how much percentage of bandwidth you'll end up with because some ISPs use a lot of buffering to game speed tests.
I'm glad we could find the solution easily!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.