Hibernation / suspend-to-disk

Hello Forum,

I’m trying to find out whether this platform can suspend-to-disc / hibernate, that is save the contents of RAM to disk and cut power completely. And when powering on, instead of cold booting, the state is restored to RAM. I understand that Linux per se supports this, but it depends on the hardware/kernel/userland support.

I’ve searched up and down on the internets and also in this forum. While I don’t find anyone with a solution, I also didn’t find any negative indications, that it’s outright impossible. Perhaps I’m not using the right search terms.

So I come here to ask, whether this would be at all possible. I’m using an gl-inet XE300 (Puli) with the newest custom firmware, but I wouldn’t be against installing something else if that would enable hibernation.

Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction

Best regards

Simon

In theory, yes.
In practice, no one has tried that so far - and you might run against issues both with non-x86 target arch support and userland (procd), which are not designed/ tested with that in mind - it simply doesn't make sense to suspend/ hibernate a router, these are always-on devices necessary for a whole stack to build upon, they generally mustn't sleep.

1 Like

I installed openwrt on a NSA10 nas and would like to make it suspend when not in use. The original software allowed for suspend - WOL. The network interface can be set to WOL - but it does not work after cmd 'poweroff' - it must be suspended. Anybody have a suggestion?