HELP: XR500 revert from OpenWrt to stock

The wireless performance of OpenWRT is pretty bad when compared to the stock firmware, I am trying to revert back to the original DUMAOS.

I followed the NETGEAR tftp guide: https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-do-I-upload-firmware-to-my-NETGEAR-router-using-a-TFTP-client-on-Microsoft-Windows.
Unfortunately, it is not working for my device, or I was unable to locate the time frame that I could flash the original image files through bootloader, as the powerLED wouldn't blink in orange as mentioned in the guide.

Does anyone know how I can revert back to the original firmware?

tftp should be the correct approach.

But I am not so sure when I should press "put" in tftpd64, The router never blinks with orange light

I neither own that device, nor use windows/ tftpd64 - but you need a tftp client (any tftp client should do).

I've just bought xr500 to flash it with openwrt, but this post seems scary :frowning:

@zirco740 could you wrote something more about the issues ?

As xr500 is based on r7800 did you try to change driver to ath10k-firmware-qca9984 ?
source: https://openwrt.org/toh/netgear/r7800#notes

Maybe I could try to install the driver to see if the wireless performance improves or not.

If you check the guide I linked in my post, you could see step 10: Wait for the Power LED to light orange and start flashing. The XR500 with OpenWRT never starts flashing with orange light.

Maybe I could try to install the driver to see if the wireless performance improves or not.

Could you please try to

opkg update
opkg install ath10k-firmware-qca9984
opkg remove ath10k-firmware-qca9984-ct
reboot

?
and see if it gets any better?

are those issues for 5ghz or also for 2.4 ghz ?

If you check the guide I linked in my post, you could see step 10: Wait for the Power LED to light orange and start flashing. The XR500 with OpenWRT never starts flashing with orange light.

I guess you could also consult with R7800 tftp flashing instructions

(as "XR500 which according to the DD-WRT guys "can be regarded as a rebranded R7800 (with double the amount of Flash Ram and the new DumaOS)")

but please first check the ath10k-firmware-qca9984/ath10k-firmware-qca9984-ct replacing

1 Like

A couple of weeks ago I spent some time playing with the LEDs meaning assignment in LuCI. I noticed that in general they seemed to behave differently from what I configured. My impression is that they had been considerably remapped from the R7800 but OpenWrt (most reasonably) uses the same mapping. I still haven't found the time to investigate further.

This just to say: this same inconsistence might be present in the TFTP server. My experience with routers is limited but I would not stick to waiting for the power led to blink orange. Do you see one (or even more) leds blinking after the reboot?

I did notice that there was a blinking white light, which it blinked for only 1-2 secs, the router was ready to use shortly after the white blinks.

1 Like

I don't see any improvements to the wireless connection, still unstable, devices would go offline for a few seconds randomly. I am trying to follow the R7800 tftp guide.

Your R7800 guide really did the job, thank you mate!

1 Like

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

FYI my personal xr500 opinion:

For those who were (like me) considering /hasitating purchase of xr500 for openwrt - personally (after couple days of usage) I didn't spot any issues with openwrt snapshot 23.02rc1 on this router (aslo didn't spot any WiFi 2.4ghz issues. I'm not using 5ghz as not all of my home devices support it)

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.