[SOLVED] W504V can't enter admin mode - it's too fast

I am trying to enter admin mode on Speedport W504V using a CP2102 and minicom on Ubuntu. I know I am supposed to press 3 times the Space bar at boot but it just jumps over the prompt instantaneously regardless of how quickly I press the space bar. It is also strange that I only see output under su and even then it is anybody's guess when it manages to open the /dev/ttyUSB0 port under su. Here is the output:

=======================================================================
Wireless ADSL IAD DANUBE Loader v1.01.06 build Oct 14 2009 11:46:45
                    Arcadyan Technology Corporation
=======================================================================         
MXIC MX29LV640EB bottom boot 16-bit mode found                                  

Copying boot params.....DONE                                                    

Press Space Bar 3 times to enter command mode ...                               
Get Primary to 1.....                                                           
Flash Checking  Passed.                                                         

Unzipping firmware at 0x80002000 ... with AREA[3][ZIP 1]  done                  
Ready to run firmware                                                           

======================                                                          
2nd Loader running ...                                                          
======================                                                          
MXIC MX29LV640EB bottom boot 16-bit mode found                                  

Copying boot params.....DONE                                                    

Get Primary to 1.....                                                           
Flash Checking  Passed.                                                         

Unzipping firmware at 0x80002000 ... with AREA[3][ZIP 3]                        
[ZIP Extra] [ZIP 1]  done                                                       
Ready to run firmware

How can I get even the slightest pause so I can enter space bar three times for "123" to be read in the terminal?

Often one needs to add their "normal" user account to the dialout group (or equivalent).

Another issue can be that the device isn't accepting input. This could be a "weak" serial adapter or, in some cases, unpopulated components on the PCB of the router.

At least with something like screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200, I can open the serial port long before the router comes on line.

1 Like

Wow! Thanks a lot! With screen /dev/ttyUSB0 115200 I was able to enter the space bars and the passwords. However, then the tutorial requires Ctrl + A + S for sending a file but in screen it just says "no other window".

Any ideas here for an alternative with screen or another program?

As I recall, ^a introduces a command in screen. ^a a should send the ^a character.

1 Like

Yes, I managed to do it as here: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/56614/send-file-by-xmodem-or-kermit-protocol-with-gnu-screen

Now U-boot is installed but it behaves strangely. The messages are missing characters and I can't execute commands, i.e. flinfo

Could it be a crappy serial to usb adapter?

I managed to flash openwrt after all. However, compared to the tutorial video it ended on:

[   32.524000] random: nonblocking pool is initialized
[   41.696000] jffs2_scan_eraseblock(): End of filesystem marker found at 0x0
[   41.708000] jffs2_build_filesystem(): unlocking the mtd device... done.
[   41.712000] jffs2_build_filesystem(): erasing all blocks after the end marker... done.
[   78.648000] jffs2: notice: (1167) jffs2_build_xattr_subsystem: complete building xattr subsystem, 0 of xdatum (0 unchecked, 0 orphan) and 0 of xref (0 dead, 0 orphan) found.

where the tutorial received the OpenWRT splash screen after [ 32.524000] . I restarted and now every boot gets stuck at [ 32.524000] random: nonblocking pool is initialized

Ideas?

It can take literally a minute or two to initialize the JFFS2 overlay. Generally should should see it starting to rebuild though.

Hit [return] and log in?

:man_facepalming:
[return] did it in fact :smiley: Thank you so much for walking me through!

I have to learn the ins and outs of openwrt now :slight_smile:

1 Like

If your problem is solved, please consider marking this topic as [Solved]. See How to mark a topic as [Solved] for a short how-to.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.