Help prioritizing games with alternative qdisc design

Its not just that they are UDP, these are intended to be essentially RTP type flows. That is, they send on a constant clock tick. They are totally unresponsive. The game packet captures show something like a 60-64Hz tick. And VOIP flows are usually 50Hz ticks. So the ideal case is that the burst rate in the HFSC drains the queue and there are never more than 1 packet in the realtime queue. Of course as we go to lower bandwidth this breaks down but the goal is to be graceful and not start dropping packets until an acceptable threshold of delay is met... This is the REDMIN purpose... REDMAX is the point where we just hard drop like a bfifo would. Basically red is a squishy bfifo for these purposes

Also I had considered codel in the leaf qdisc of non-realtime flows, but wondered about the variable sending rate that it'll experience and whether that will be problematic, and then also worried about CPU usage.

I don't think I can force a server further away. I'm located in Aus and the next closest server location would be somewhere in Asia at 120ms+ ping. That might be a solution for people in EU where there' a lot of server locations scattered throughout.

I might revert back to the old script without red, I think it was the only time I experienced a few games where I felt like all my bullets registered and I wasn't playing "in the past"

If you want to avoid packet drops just make the red queue have a very large minimum. For example 3000+rate*100/8 and then make red maximum 2x as big. This is as good as a bfifo for practical purposes

Sorry for the noobie questions
How would i put this script in my lede firmware . i have no clue
Where do i copy and paste it to

Do i open putty and paste the script in there . sorry for the noob ?

This is very much an advanced testing level script for people more comfortable with how to work with scripts and command lines. I'm working with @moeller0 on getting an expanded script like this into mainline sqm-scripts so perhaps you should wait until that happens. Also please update your firmware if you're still running LEDE!

Im a quick learner
I would love to take part in this as you guys really seem to be on to this

I have been using openwrt for about a year now
So i know a little and i read a lot on here
I have previously bricked my older openwrt router and managed to fix it from reading these forums help and using commands
I been reading this topic and it just makes sence

Can i just add to this
Cod coldwar ps4 uses tcp as destination and 50000-65535 source tcp as well
But it only uses very little data compared to udp
I use ledes realtime grapth \connection to see this info
I tried in the past from one of my older topics to limit pfifo packets limit on mw and found this to help me the most out ofeverything i tried before
so i might retry this on colwar aswell

Ok, if you are ok with reading up on how its done, what you want to do is take the script here, and use the "scp" function in putty to copy it to /etc/qosscript.sh on your router. Then you can go in and add the executable bits to the permissions:

chmod a+x /etc/qosscript.sh

then edit /etc/rc.local and add the line

echo y | /etc/qosscript.sh

then you can test it out without a reboot:

/etc/qosscript.sh

if it works, you reboot and it should set it up every time... Remember to disable sqm scripts before trying this.

Thank you i will read up on it first
Btw you said for me to update my lede fw
What is the latest fw build as i aint been on the forum for a while
Also will the newer build fw be able to use netem
As i love netem
As i tried gwlims build before but i couldnt use netem so i reverted back to lede
Sorry for going off topic

The latest stable builds are here: https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.4/targets/

netem should still be available, Knomax showed that he had it somewhere above^^^ so it's there, possibly with one of the kmod packages like kmod-sched

Send me pm to figure out if you have any problem to run it.

Thank you all i hadnt yet read the whole thread yet
I think i read about 3\4 of it
I absalutely love this thread \topic its so intesting to meits a plesure reading it all
Its just a bit hard to read it on my ps4 as it dosent save where you left off reading last time

1 i downloaded notepad++ what file type do i save it as theqossript file
2 in my version of putty i cant scp it dosent have it
3 if i use winscp in the etc there is no qosscript file
ive tried this on lede and the newest build
i just instaled a min ago
it dosent have this /etc/qosscript.sh

i think do i nneed to create the qocscript file using noepad++ then place it in the etc file using winscp

as i read in the previos version i thoght you have to place it into the two files into the root folder in router i think
do i only use 1 now not 2
or do i still need to creat the tow rfiles
/hfsc.sh
/gaming.sh
in /root

sorry if im a bit confused and my spelling is bad
as i only just read the whole thread and still learing
im just trying to make sure i get the process right

That's right. You create the script on your PC using a text editor by copying and pasting the code, then you scp the file to your router.

so, as you can see the scripts didn't work for me as expected, but am down to try the latest one. but can someone explain to me why the fq_Codel is giving me such a bad Bufferbloat for upload speed? especially in this script it will setup fq_codel automatically for my connection. i get the same issue when using fq_codel is enabled with SQM, also it doesn't matter if i select very low upload, low as 20%. this issue goes away when Cake is enabled

Happi, can you set the devices and speeds on the latest script from:

and then show us what your settings were and give us a dslreports speed test? also try your game and tell us how the game response is?

It will be much easier to answer questions when we have some data.

i will try this tonight and report back

i crated the file then aded it to root\etc\qocscripts with win scp
i then put the commands into the
then edit /etc/rc.local and add the line
echo y | /etc/qosscript.sh using winscp

iim confused on this part
chmod a+x /etc/qosscript.sh
i dont understan this part

i get error when i type this
root@OpenWrt:~# /etc/qosscript.sh
/bin/sh: illegal option -

also is notepad++ ok to use unix script file bash sh file type

You must execute this once on the command line to tell the OS this is an executable script

Also name it qocscripts.sh
Then run it via command line......
./qocscripts.sh

how do i do that ive tried loads of ways but cnt do it