Help prioritizing games with alternative qdisc design

in game i haved a 28ms at the moment best hitreg i'm look always :wink:

how use tcp ?

like this

Besides, I asked myself the question about the servers can we do something similar to netduma to choose our servers I know that there is a package called Banip can be this a track?

This is beyond what I want to develop. You are free to put a firewall rule to drop any IP in a certain IP set, and ban your own list of "bad" servers :wink:

Your "all packets" shows that TCP is important during the game, some pulses of additional packets beyond the UDP ones probably carry game state. If you have bufferbloat scores like what you show, and have this ~ 500 packets/second max rate, I think you should have FINE network performance, so if the game sucks, I'm more suspecting it's the server.

The best we can probably do is keep track of what server you are connected to and your "quality" score and try to see if it's consistent, but it might be more about the "current state" of the server, how many play, and what time of day etc... hard to know.

1 Like

yes you are right

just for finish with old script

I am interested to test "duplicate packets"....

Maybe it is better with geoip package...but it is complicated to set up.

1 Like

[Geo-Filtering IP Addresses by Country Code]

But you have to know in which country the servers you play is "good"

yes i know than germany and united kingdom is good for me

you need some more...when you start the game it connects to another server for "identification"....download tour profile etc.

1 Like

yes mine is identified with the west coast of the united states I have the impression

ip2location is a good site for identify the server

I agree to make its concrete tests, it takes a fixed value like playing on the same IP range of a game server .. yesterday with the script, my first part was exceptional, dsl report exceptional, unfortunately the next part my shots did not hit .. I restarted the router to empty any traces, the next part was better! So yes, having a geofilter allows you to better focus on the adaptation of the script!

Which is not guaranteed to work, if e.g. the game servers are hiding behind anycast, I believe the only robust method is to look at RTT to servers, but that will only prune far away servers and if "badness" of a server should scale with its load will not help much...

Keep in mind that geoip is a heuristic only, and a bad one at that. The least you need to do is to also look at the network path and RTT to sanity check whether the reported location looks believable.

Maybe etc. set a ping value.....50ms and avoid to connect to server above that value...but it is difficult to.

some FIFA players have a GVSP protocol in their catches, so I wonder why them they have and I don't? must be added in the configuration or in the safe pc the network card a driver ??? it seems that fifa uses this protocol to smooth .. do you know about GVSP?

While we all blame the devs and the community managers and everyone who dare to post online from the company. these people are sick of getting harrased online for something out of their hands. The whole issue started when Ea as a publisher made multiple public tests about the general quality of potential customers internet connections. these surveys returned that the majority of the audience Ea target are having connections issues. The main issue is teenagers using shared internet (one internet subscription serving multiple devices/persons in the same house hold) another issue is internet providers having routing issues to ea servers location especially in Usa (some isp called cox ) France (Isp called Orange)... Yet another issue is players on unstable wifi signal/congested channels/3g or 4g internet.

This made Ea as a publisher instruct all devs to focus on network smoothing (this is what they internally call lag compensation at EA). This is affecting Apex legends and Battlefield too. they are using low tick rate servers on purpose and as a choice not because they can't afford 60hz servers. This choice was not made by the community manager or anyother EA employee you are flaming on the internet. This was made by the higher ups that only understand money. For them higher potential customers = higher player base = higher income. I will focus on Fifa 20 issues because folks on other games have already done alot of work in investigating the netcode and they already know about the issues.

I think we all noticed how severe the delay this fifa is. It's because Ea have taking network smoothing too far this year. In fifa 20 the netcode is using gvsp protocol instead of traditional Udp packets. This protocol is mainly used by security cameras that stream live over the internet. Why are they using it? because with this protocol it easier to re-sequence packets in case of latency variance or and packet loss. This protocol is also very linient on packet resend. So here I blame Ea employees who lie to us about how they are working and investigating input delay when the publisher is telling them to focus on the exact opposite of this:

The focus is to make the game appear lag free. Key word is appear so the average joe will think nothing is wrong. how? most people will only think there is lag when they actually see it. If nothing seen then everything is ok and he can still play online. This is why Gsvp was chosen. This protocol make it easier for EA to make the Game visually smooth at the cost of delaying input. Visually smooth means as less as possible speed up lag and visual jittery. Packet resequence helps this case but it is also the main cause of the bizarre mauvements you see your players pull up in game. how you pressed B for an interception a second ago but your player skyrocketed the ball after the interception. Why you take extra steps before any command (pass/shoot/cross). That's because your packets are delayed and resequenced so the movement command register before the shooting command.

All in all the game is a complete mess online this year for a huge chunk of us. This post is to educate people about the root cause not because I think EA will do anything. This is for the people who take this game seriously and even think it's competitive. I don't know how you call such a mess competitive where delay is the major factor in deciding whos winning or losing the match.

A simple solution would be to give us the choice of playing with or without network smoothing. This won't hurt the player base or their income and also will let the people with capable internet connection to play with minimal lag. Match people who opt to play with network smoothing together and the people who opt out together!

Yes that make way more sense, as it will also bound the RTT/delay during the game. BUT there probably are reasons why people might want to play at more remote servers, like "all of my friends play there" or "there are no closer servers" and similar. How to implement that is outside of my expertise though.

@dlakelan

ipset create realtimeset4 hash:ip || echo "ERROR: could not create realtimeset4 do you have ipsets working?"
ipset create realtimeset6 hash:ip family inet6 || echo "ERROR: could not create realtimeset6 do you have ipsets working?"

Do we ignore these Errors?

also we do not need to do the startup local for the dscptag.sh, we only do the local startup for the qos.sh script correct?

i tried both ways not sure if it would do anything bad, but i know both scripts are active and running

Yes..main script "calls" second...dscptag.sh