Help needed for a transparent proxy on openwrt

It's not clear to me though the problem you are solving by "not proxying everything" however it is clear to me the problem you create by demanding the ability to proxy just a small subset, and support https, and be transparent, and support buggy PAC files in multiple OS...

If your goal is "get around restrictions without reducing speed except maybe for sites that are restricted" then "proxy everything explicitly through squid" solves the problem.

1 Like

PAC?
that is the way I use right now and I want to replace it.
please read the whole topic first.
I necer said I use pac or not.
somebody said to use that and I answered.

"
If your goal is "get around restrictions without reducing speed except maybe for sites that are restricted" then "proxy everything explicitly through squid" solves the problem."

I dont understand this completely. explicitly?
for the last time I dont want to proxy everything.I can do that now.
I want to proxy some domains transparently. like youtube and so on.

Language barriers may be making this harder for us, and yes, I have read the whole thread. I understand that at the moment you want to "proxy some domains transparently" but what I do not understand is what problem you solve by doing this instead of proxying everything through your own squid. If the only problem you solve is that "you want to" then, I leave you to it, because I have no further to contribute. But if there is an actual technical need that requires this, I would like to know what it is so that I can understand better the issue.

As I see it, "selectively get around certain blockages by using remote proxies while not reducing speed for the rest of the internet, and providing maximum compatibility with all OS and browsers etc" is solved by "proxy everything through your own squid" so evidently there is something else you need. I would like to know that extra thing, unless it's just "you want to figure out how it's done for your own education" in which case, good luck!

1 Like

again I use tor for proxy and it is not a fast proxy so I dont want to proxy everything and many sites dont work with tor so I cant proxy everything.
I am sure I have mentioned that.
yep here
"that would slow down my already slow internet and many sites (like those on cloudflare) have issues with tor."

I am saying I want to proxy some domain and you say you know better and I need to proxy everything.
I told you for the third time ,I already can do whole proxy.
please if you cant contribute to my issue, dont give those answers.
its like me saying which kind of car is better for me and you insisting that I get a bicycle.
for the last time I dont want to proxy everything.
thats it.

Now I understand, because we are using the word "proxy" differently and it is a language issue.

you seem to think when I say "proxy everything" I mean "send everything through tor" but I don't, when I say "proxy everything" i mean "send everything through squid running on your router, and let squid decide which things go through tor"

Now do you see what is the difference? I hope.

1 Like

squid cant do that with https. cant decide based on domain(at least what I read says that)

That's not true, squid can't decide based on full urls but it can decide based on domain name. That is the only info it has to decide with.

EDIT: when an explicit proxy is configured, the client connects to squid, and says "set up a connection to this domain name" squid sets that up, and then the client and server set up a TLS encrypted tunnel where the client asks the server to get a particular URL. Squid has no knowledge of what goes on in that tunnel, but it does know which domain it was asked to connect to.

On the other hand, if you try to make this transparent it doesn't work, because with an explicit proxy the client knows to connect to squid and tell it to do a tunnel... with a transparent one it doesn't know squid is there so it tries to talk to the server directly. So making it transparent breaks everything.

If you make squid an explicit proxy for your clients, and put everything through that squid, then squid will do what it needs to do.

EDIT2: in particular, squid can get a request to set up a connection to the server, and then decide, hey I can't connect directly to this server, but I can go through some other proxy to get to this server... I think this is what you want. squid will sometimes send CONNECT requests from clients through an intermediate TOR based proxy and sometimes just directly CONNECT to the server site.

1 Like

so you meant explicit proxy ?
are you actually a troll?

did you even read a word I said?

just look at the title at the top of browser.

I am just gonna assume you trolled me and not read any more of you answers.
have a nice life

Thanks, now I can stop wasting my time actually trying to help you.

1 Like

CONFIRMED.

Thanks, now I can stop wasting my time actually trying to help you.<

CONFIRMED, AS WELL.

the doamin part doesnt work as you said which is transparently for https.it works explicitly and that is not what I need.

and the second CONFIRMED: oh well that's ok too.
and thanks for the effort.