[Help] Nano package install exits with Error 2

Hi,

I have built the firmware for Raspberry Pi 3B based on the documentation here. Following are the steps I have followed.

git clone https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt.git
cd openwrt/
./scripts/feeds update -a
./scripts/feeds install -a
make menuconfig
# Selected Target system, Subtarget, target profile and 'Build the OpenWRT SDK option'
make -j4

Based on the same document page, now I want to enable, compile and install a new package nano editor. I have run make menuconfig, selected nano from Utilities -> Editors and run the following command.

make V=s package/feeds/packages/nano/{download,compile}

I could see the nano_4.9.2-1_aarch64_cortex-a53.ipk file generated in the path bin/packages/aarch64_cortex-a53/packages/

Now, I have run the following install command.

make -j1 V=s package/feeds/packages/nano/install

The command returns with the following error.

make[1]: Entering directory '/home/nayab/openwrt'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'package/feeds/packages/nano/install'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/nayab/openwrt'
make: *** [/home/nayab/openwrt/include/toplevel.mk:220: package/feeds/packages/nano/install] Error 2

I am not sure what went wrong here and could somebody explain what this install command do in the first place and how to resolve this.

Thanks

If you want to install that to the router, you need to transfer that .ipk file to the router and install it there with opkg.

Thanks. I would like to install the nano binary to build_dir/target-aarch64_cortex-a53_musl/root-bcm27xx/ path and then create a firmware from that. Would you tell me how to do that.

Simply select the package in menuconfig before image compilation
(or manually add it to .config)

An that is overly complex.

make V=s package/nano/{download,compile} does the same.

the /feeds/packages part is unnecessary.
(and the download needs to be done only once, and is done automatically, so also that is rather unnecessary)

Hi,
make V=s package/nano/compile command compiles fine. But I am still getting the following install error. Could you tell where the problem is?

$ make V=s package/nano/install
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/nayab/openwrt'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'package/nano/install'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/nayab/openwrt'
/home/nayab/openwrt/include/toplevel.mk:218: recipe for target 'package/nano/install' failed
make: *** [package/nano/install] Error 2