Help me to configure SQM (BIG mistake in SQM Cake)

In olden days (2000 or so), the debate was over two or 6 bits. The 6 bitters won, and we got an undeployable mess that persists to this day. cake supports the full 6 bit lookup table, partially in the hope that other models can be patched in if the ever make sense - it's a lookup table and a few lines of setup code, and a few lines added to iproute2 for each new model. I personally have not seen much use for more than three tiers of service.

As for the thread that started this, I guess I should have recognized that some gamers will want to torrent while gaming. The prioritization feature of cake did get made general, so I hope that whoever wants to go to the degree of dpi needed to do both games and torrent will try. Turning off per host fq in cake will help somewhat in this case.

1 Like

I am not so sure that this is worth catering to, IMHO this is a "doctor it hurts when I do X" kind of situation. Well, I should try to get a how to written for using tc filters to filter packets into priority bins, then people who want to can write qos rules util the cows come home ;).

Well, it will spread the torrent pain to all users of the same link... as long as there is no noticeable traffic by other hosts dual-XXXhost should just be a computationally less efficient version of "flows", no?

1 Like

I use old-fashioned port 6881TCP for qbittorrent, which is idle most of the time.

I assume you're talking about the case where a single machine with one IP is doing torrents and low latency (games/voip) at the same time?

At least for linux, shouldn't it be possible to add a second ip address to the interface and ask the torrents to bind to that? I'm not sure which torrent clients have this feature of being able to choose which ip address to bind to.

For linux, I think the way to go is to create a macvlan interface on your computer, move that interface to a separate namespace, and then run a dhcp client and your torrent client in that namespace. Your torrent will operate with a separate ip address, and the per-ip fairness will allow your game and torrent to split bandwidth appropriately.

Edit: also a few iptables rules should let you tag ALL the torrent traffic both directions as CS1.

Edit2: in the future, when we're all using ipv6 you can have hundreds or thousands of ip addresses active on each machine, enabling more complicated use of this sort of thing.

2 Likes

I've put my torrents on a pi-type box and it works fine, even with a SD card.

i have an old wdr 3600 with openwrt running cake and piece of cake and i can play and download at the same time just fine. pubg's net statistics never show more than about 70ms ping and no jitter\lost packets. there are a lot of tweaks to adjust cake but im not using any of them. i have my ingress and egress set to about 95% of my rated speed. it works fine. i dont know what anybody is talking about. i mean maybe torrents but if i run a youtube video and download a new game on steam at the same time as playing pubg it works just fine. are you sure you have it set up right?