Help in adding support to a new device (HG532n)

Hello community,
I'm gonna try to build OpenWrt for a modem that isn't supported rn.
OpenWrt supported modems are few and not common in Egypt (where I live).
ISPs limit functionality of their modems with the firmware being ONT (It has their logo and custom things and so).

The device is called Huawei HG532n
Product name HG532n
Device ID 00E0FC-B7J7SB9381604206
Hardware version HG532EAM1HG530ERRAMVER.B
Firmware version V100R001C105B019 TEDATA
Batch number TWC105P0.019.320240

It also has
Processor: ralink rt63365e
Wlan: unknown

Unfortunately, the official firmware for this device isn't available online (ONT) but I found some firmware which maybe useful.

This is photo from inside.
Imgur
On other thread the user @Sparks directed me to look for serial pins so to connect via it and extract the bootloader as a first step. I think one of these are the pins which is referred to.
Imgur
Imgur
so what is next with that router?

See here also: https://forum.archive.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=37964

Do you have a multimeter, and can you solder a bit?

With a multimeter you will typically find you have +3.3V or -3.3V between the two end pads. Hence you can work out where is 0V and where is 3.3V. Once you know where 0V is put the multimeter between it and one of the other two pads, and power cycle. Then between 0V and the other pad while cycling power again. One should show 0V as well, while the other is about 2V - this is actually the serial TX pad going between 0V and 3.3V but the multimeter averages it out. You now know what is 0V, 3.3V and TX - so the remaining one is RX.

You won't need to use the 3.3V line usually. Connecting to it can cause complications and damage.

You can use many methods to connect to these pins. I solder in a 3-pin 0.1" block (leaving the 3.3V empty). This will attach nicely to a spare PC CD-ROM audio lead. Pop the pins out of the plastic holder and refit in the order that works. At the other end I insert mini-jumber leads and plug them into the TX / RX / 0V of an Arduino board with chip removed. That goes into PC via USB port, and PuTTY gives a serial console to watch what is happening. Works great for me, but depends what you have around.

Or get a serial to USB lead from eBay :slight_smile:

If that makes sense you're on the way to getting sight of the boot process, where you'll usually be able to make things pause to snoop around at what is what.

1 Like

Flash =Winbond 25q32bv = 32Mbit = 4MB
RAM = Winbond W9425G6JH-5 = 256Mbit = 32MB

-> https://openwrt.org/supported_devices/432_warning

If OP is adding support for the device they should be able to work within the constraints described by that page. A simple AP / repeater build appears to be stable on my 4+32 WN604, and is proving to be very useful in its new role.

1 Like

Aside from the 4/32 issue, this SOC is currently not supported (and there are little chances that it ever will be; and effectively zero chance to support the xDSL modem).