[HELP] I have Bought Amazon Warehouse Archer C7 (EU) V2.0 with LEDE Pre-installed

Hi all,

I have recently bought an Archer C7 (EU) V2.0 from the Amazon Warehouse during the prime sale, I have noticed that the firmware has been modified to LEDE: (Firmware version: LEDE Reboot 17.01.0 r3205-59508e3 / LuCI lede-17.01 branch (git-17.051.53299-a100738) with a Kernel 4.4.50.

Unfortunately, I have no clue what this is and if this firmware version is any good as I'm a total novice when it comes to home-networking.

My question is this, would I be better to flash this to stock or should I (Git Gud) and flash to a new version and commence a trial by fire?

Hi Joseph,

First to give you an idea what LEDE is, I would recommend (if you didn't already do) to read the start page of the LEDE Project: https://lede-project.org/

LEDE is a custom firmware available for many routers. It requires a little bit more knowledge to get what you want from it, but it's very powerful because you are in control. It's also very expandable. And secure. I'm not going to resume the main LEDE page here... :wink:

If you feel uncomfortable about having the LEDE firmware, you can always reinstall the stock TP-Link firmware. There is a video on Youtube about that, and you can read more on the subject here:

Just make sure to understand everything that has to be done before attempting the restore and feel free to ask questions. Do not rush into the process.

Point worth noting: You need to use a stripped firmware from FriedZombie's website to restore, after you can use the standard stock firmware as usual.

5 Likes

It would probably be more helpful if you could identify any specific issues you have with configuring the router to do what you would like it to do.

The current release is 17.01.2, but you don't have to update it before trying it. There is an option to keep your current configuration settings when you update the firmware.