Help configuring PPPoE on RPI router

I am trying to setup PPPoE on my Pi, and ive had mixed results. the Pi only has 1 ethernet port by the way.

when the WAN cable is plugged into the router when it starts, connecting to its network wirelessly gives me internet access. however, i can no longer communicate with the router. DHCP gives me an address like 10.0.216.xxx. with subnet mask 255.255.128.0

when I start the router without the WAN port in, I can connect to the router via 192.168.1.1, but with no internet, as expected. DHCP gives me the expected IP settings in this situation.

my configuration is like this:

lan:
device: br-lan
ip: 192.168.1.1
firewall zone: lan
DHCP server is not set to ignore interface

wan:
protocall: PPPoE
device: eth0
firewall zone: wan

wireless:
access point
network: lan

all other settings should be the defaults. ive tried setting authorative mode on in DHCP and DNS settings, but this results in no internet access, and no web UI access.

in the firewall zone settings, wan --> reject has the following settings:
input: reject
output: accept
forward: reject
masquerading: true

are these firewall settings what is causing the issue?

it should be noted that in the situation where i can successfully get internet, I have no way of communicating with the router to see whats going on because i dont have access to the web interface and unfortunately i have no other way of communicating with the Pi. the mini hdmi addapter i bought obstructs the power input >:(

any help is appreciated

If you have such a section in /etc/config/network

config device
        option name 'br-lan'
        option type 'bridge'
        list ports 'eth0'

remove list ports 'eth0' and restart the network service.

1 Like

All that you describe is expected because you have only one ethernet interface and you are trying to use it as both lan and wan. If you remove the eth0 from the lan bridge as @pavelgl suggested earlier, you can use the eth0 as wan interface and connect to the lan by wifi. If you need both lan and wan to use ethernet ports, then you need to add a usb2eth adapter.

2 Likes

so under network->interfaces->devices->br-lan i set bridge ports from eth0 to unspecified? im being cautious because i dont want to get locked out and have to reflash. also, for some reason, nano, lede and emacs do not work on my openWRT. are they not installed by default? how do i edit files from cli

root@OpenWrt:~# nano
-ash: nano: not found

No, they aren't.

Two options:

Simply backup your config before making the change in question; then you can revert back to the state before you made the change.

I currently dont have access to the internet on the router and I have avoided learning vim so far :sob: guess ill have to learn at some point

edit: nevermind it doesnt seem that hard lol

1 Like

FYI - in the future, you can also include additional packages into an image by using via the Firmware Selector.

One other approach for such a "router-on-a-stick" configuration is to combine it with a managed switch and then use e.g. eth0.1 for wan (that is use VLAN1 for wan) and eth0.2 for lan, and use the switch to pass VLAN1 on to the true wan device/port and connect VLAN2 with the untagged remaining ports.

just did this. unfortunately no internet, however I have no issues with connecting to the web UI anymore. it just says Error: Connection attempt failed. I tried setting the MAC address of the WAN port to that of my primary router but it did not help. My primary router can connect to the internet through PPPoE with the same username and password i am using on my openWRT router. any ideas as to why it cant connect?

there are no words for the extent of my foolishness. I have left myself speachless as to my stupidity. when I wanted to reconnect my Pi to the wan instead of removing from the port that was connected to my primary router, I instead pulled it out of my modem. i then proceeded to unknowingly plug my openWRT router into my primary router.

After this revilation, I have plugged in the right cables. it now works. thanks

2 Likes

You are not the only one having tested that unlikely scenario, and I am sure there will be other in the future as well... So don't be too hard on yourself
Regarding plugging mishaps, I once managed to plug the same (long and leading to another room) cable with both ends into two ports of the smea ethernet switch/hub (don't remember which or whether that would matter) resulting in a stern call from the IT department... :wink:

2 Likes

That's why most of its users add a second ethernet card via USB3, it makes the whole setup much easier (to the point that we probably wouldn't have this conversation)…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.