Hardware for transparent WiFi backhaul link between two AP

My current setup is a x86 mini PC (Celeron J1800 with 4x intel NICs) as router running OpenWrt and 2x APs: TP-Link EAP225v3 controlled by a Raspberry PI running TP-Link Omada Controller software.

One of the EAP225v3 is directly connected to the router but the other is wireless connected using the built-in “Mesh” feature of the EAP225v3 APs.

I have a fiber connection with 1000Mbit up/1000 Mbit down so WiFi speed is obviously the bottleneck. There are no nearby (neighbors) WiFi causing interference. So a quiet WiFi environment.

My current setup is very stable but I would like to get rid of the “Mesh” feature of the APs and use a dedicated WiFi backhaul link between the two APs.

I’d like to get suggestions for what OpenWrt capable hardware to be used for this WiFi backhaul link?

Alternatively, suggestions for OpenWrt capable replacements for the 2x EAP225v3 that have three radios 1x 2.4GHz + 2x 5Ghz so one radio can be dedicated to backhaul?

For a similar setup and set of use cases, I selected the EA8300 for the reason it has three radios (2.4 GHz, two 5 GHz) and someone thought it would be easy to port OpenWrt to the device. Well, that wasn't quite the case, but it's done now and accepted to OpenWrt. The performance of the 2x2 radios are better than the 3x3 of the Archer C7v2 units they replaced.

There are some Netgear IPQ40x9-based devices that have interesting hardware, including 3x3 support, but I'm not up for another "project", especially as I'm satisfied by the performance of the EA8300 units.

The ipq40xx units have some funkiness with how their switches work, but you can successfully trunk multiple VLANs to them.

1 Like