Guidance on creating a release image

I may not even be asking in the right spot but here it goes.

I currently have several Google Wifi devices that were given to me when my father upgraded his network. Recently, I learned that someone was kind enough to build an openwrt snapshot image for this hardware. I've installed it on a couple unused devices as a test and it works great! I even have a mesh set up.

The only issue I run into is because it's a snapshot, things tend to progress in their dependencies. So, while I can install the image and get several packages installed all at once, if I come back a few weeks later to install another package, it may run into dependency issues such as needing a newer kernel which would require updating the firmware and reinstalling all packages. This can get tedious.

I would love it if I could figure out how to build a 22.03 release image for this device to avoid this problem. I may be way out of my depth on this. I have some programming experience and a whole lot of linux/bash experience (daily driver for ~18 years) but not sure where to begin with this.

1 Like

So, someone was kind enough to point me in the direction of the custom firmware builder. Is there a way to pull a plain text list of all packages currently installed so you can just copy/paste into the packages to include when you build a factory.bin? I tried opkg list over ssh but it seems to return a whole lot more than the packages currently installed.

You probably want opkg list-installed and remove the versions. I'm not familiar with sed, but this seems to work:-

opkg list-installed | sed 's/ - .*//'

1 Like

You can use attended-sysupgrade to build a custom release image.

Or you can download and install an image from openwrt.org. Why would you need to build it yourself?

Like @Pilot6 said attended-sysupgrade (install luci-app-attendedsysupgrade for LuCI support) or auc (opkg install auc) for command line.

Here are some commands I commonly use:

auc -c for checking current status
auc -b SNAPSHOT to build and install latest snapshot including all of your existing packages
auc -b 22.03 -B 22.03.0-rc6 likewise for RC6 and so on

Because I have 4 more units to flash and the method is a bit of a pain without having to also install Luci and all other needed packages on each one. It would be nice to be able to just go in with a prepared image to flash to each and then just configure them without having to install anything after flash.

Yeah, I figured out auc with the help of someone else. Just looking for a speedy way to flash all my Google WiFi units quickly with the needed packages already. I still have 4 that are running the OEM firmware. They're also running the house WiFi and I would need to get them swapped quickly to minimize disruption to the household.

That does indeed list all installed packages as plain text without the extra stuff! I just have a few more to install to have the full list of packages to run with!

This is actually great because then I can have everything needed to get my additional units off of OEM firmware with minimal fuss! Thanks everyone for the help!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.