Guest Wifi Network on Secondary AP?

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice here.... I've got 2 openwrt routers. The primary is in the basement where the cable connection comes into the house. The second one is configured as a dump ap on the main floor. They're connected via ethernet-over-power adapters to their LAN ports.

The primary one has a guest wifi network configured that's separated from the rest of the LAN however I haven't been able to figure out how to wrap my head around getting the second one to relay that network. I think I need a second wire going down to one of the ports on the primary that's vlan'ed to the guest network but that's not physically practical--I don't even have one wire going down there hence the ethernet-over-power. Is there a way to do this that I'm missing? The secondary ap is bridged and the primary is handling DHCP for the network.

I guess what I'm looking for is for both networks to be carried over the ethernet-over-power wire while keeping the guest network separated.

In the meantime I've bridged the guest network to the LAN on the secondary AP so at least devices on it will have network access but ideally I'd rather they not be on my LAN.

I hope I've been clear about the setup; if you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

kev.

You could use a firewall rule on your Dumb AP to seperate your guest network from your LAN.

You need to create VLANs and trunk them over the wire that connects both routers; there are several posts in this forum about this scenario.

5 Likes

Hi, maybe this video from OneMarcFifty is helpful?

Thanks, yes, this has given me a direction to go for this. Next time I get a chance where the family doesn't need the network I'm going to give this a go.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.