Guest DHCP malfunction upon restart

Thank you for your help I attempted your suggestions but it appears the problem still persists. Perhaps the line being “mangled” is the issue but it appears normal until I paste it for some reason. I don’t know if this is the issue or how to fix it. I did delete the DNS firewall rule and reduced the DHCP to 67 only. What should I do next? Thanks in advance!

Reboot the system and verify the issue persists.
Fetch fresh and full system log.

The issue persists.

Everything is the same as the last log. It appears, at least to me, to be a timing issue at start up, but I really don’t know anything. It just seems this way because, in addition to the workaround I mentioned regarding “force dhcp”, simply restarting the interface in Luci also allows it to work fine as mentioned by loyukfai. It does this before and after making the changes you advised.

This is the only line that changes between it working and not working.

dnsmasq-dhcp[6010]: no address range available for DHCP request via wlan1-1

Perhaps there is a way to delay the startup of DHCP and that would solve it? I just don’t know how. Of course I could be totally off base too. Just brainstorming.

Thank you for your continued help!

1 Like

You can convert the guest interface to a bridge like this:

opkg update
opkg install kmod-dummy
uci set network.Guest.type="bridge"
uci set network.Guest.ifname="dummy0"
uci commit network
/etc/init.d/network restart
/etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart

This way we should be able to avoid race conditions with the guest WLAN if any.

1 Like

Thank you! I want my guest network to be completely separate from my main network, however, for security purposes. If I apply the fix you suggested it removes that separation does it not?

Also, I reset my guest network by setting up according to the current setup here. In doing so I have eliminated the “option 6” as being a possible cause. I reintroduced they DNS firewall rule prior to testing this. I noticed the 67-68 rule has been changed in the instructions so that’s good but the same issue occurred.

Just to clarify my problem, if I reboot my router or it reboots due to power loss, my guest WiFi quits working. Clients can see the network and attempt to log on but will not be issued up addresses.

Each time I can remedy this by restarting the guest interface as setup here. The interface will continue to work until the next reboot where the issue repeats. Any other actions that reboot the interface also remedy the problem.

Ultimately, my goal for the guest network is: A completely separate and isolated network that has cleanbrowsing.org as the DNS service.

1 Like

It does not.
The Guest interface is still separate from the LAN interface, unless you add an explicit traffic forwarding.

According to your description, configs and logs, your main issue looks like a race condition.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your patience and help. The above marked solution has resolved the problem. :raised_hands:

1 Like

If you have time, perhaps you can update the wikis too?

Cheers.

Already done.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.