Good ways to do synced backups?

The 12 terabyte raid 5 disk array I have connected to my Linksys WRT3200ACM router running 18.06.2 r7676-cddd7b4c77 that I'm using as a LAN wide NFS share along with housing my entire music and photo collection collection shared with minidlna I've just realized is becoming incredibly important to me after accidentally moving the entire 'D' folder to the trash.

Sorry deadmau5!

What are some good options for off-site (over the internet) data automatic back ups. DropBox? I want to do incremental if possible for timed snapshots in case I make a serious data loss booboo. Data amount is around 5TB and growing fast as I move in to it and fully use it for nearly everything important

What is the SIZE and FREQUENCY of changes?
Do you HAVE to go over the NET?
Are you prepared to pay for LOCAL and REMOTE options?
What is you level of linux skill ( 0-5 )?
How much time are you prepared to put into setting it up?

The constraints and solutions are common and well documented.

Which common tools ( apart from tar rsync etc ) are supported is a good question.

I deployed a commercial solution for a while. It is doable.... once you understand your data well and the constraints of narrow pipes and local file locking.

In the real world most people settle for tick and go, trickle paid options because of setup complexities and reassurance factor. Often it is the wisest choice.

( prepare yourself for the week long restore if it ever comes to it :wink: )

For backing over the internet you can try Backblaze, Carbonite, or Mozy Home. Then there is Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft One Drive. The choices are many

DropBox used to provide a background tool for syncing for Debian desktops, but I kinda doubt there's a build for openwrt

Will rclone do the trick?

1 Like

sweet! It's not in the openwrt repo, but that's solvable

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.