Good SQM Router

Hi,

I’m looking to purchase a Openwrt Router what will handle SQM, Don’t need anything fancy just so SQM will perform well.

Something with a decent CPU.

I use a Wi-Fi mesh system so the Wi-Fi will be disabled on the router also.

Thank you

It's impossible to answer this question without knowing what kind of WAN speeds you're aiming at.

In general: towards the higher end of the performance spectrum, you're basically looking at x86_64, RPi4 and rockchip.

1 Like

Sorry I’m new to this kinda thing bare with me :blush:

70/18 speeds.

Will check the other feeds out, I just need a little help finding a decent Router.

Thank you

Too much for lantiq, a bit much for ath79, probably sufficient for mt7621a and ipq40xx. ipq806x, mvebu, ipq807x, mt7622, qoriq, cavium/ octeon and filogic 820+ should cope with that easily, as well as the aforementioned rockchip, RPi4 and x86_64.

4 Likes

Thank you, is there just a router I can purchase and load openwrt through the GUI?

I haven’t a clue how to load openwrt firmware through the command line or what ever you call it?

:wink:

Have a look at this filtered list sorted A~Z. Filter is of Current Release Generic flashing via OEM firmware

2 Likes

It sort of boils down to how much you want to learn about installing and configuring OpenWrt.

If you aren't too averse to pain :wink:, the Belkin RT3200/Linksys EA8450 (same box, different colors) is the current darling of the all-in-one gateway community. It's usually about US$60-70 new here in the US (I haven't looked at UK prices), has plenty of horsepower to run SQM for your given network speed and should be fairly future-proof (it has Wifi 6, and is pretty fast, so you shouldn't outgrow it for many years). I have three of them serving various family members (two here in the US, one in Taiwan), and they handle 300-500 downloads easily with Cake turned on.

This device's only real issue is with setup, which can be a bit daunting due to the way it's internal storage is laid out, but once you get past that step (which is very well documented on Daniel Golle's github page, https://github.com/dangowrt/owrt-ubi-installer), it's pretty smooth sailing and no different than any other OpenWrt device. Plus there's the megathread for this device that will help you through the any issues if you do go that route Belkin RT3200/Linksys E8450 WiFi AX discussion - #3403 by Brain2000 .

1 Like

Netgear R7800 would meet your needs and the installation is straightforward

1 Like