Good device for Openvpn

Hi,

im Searching for a good Device for Openvpn, it should get 20Mbps throughtput and should be compatible with 18 version of Openwrt.

Greetings

first of all if you're referring to openwrt 18.06 this version is out of support since december 2020 so we strongly recommend you switch to current 21.02 release.
now about your requirements I would say most of the openwrt supported devices should deliver 20mbps of openvpn traffic. Are you sure you need only 20mbps and not 20 MB/s (160mbps)?
see [OpenWrt Wiki] OpenVPN performance
and [OpenWrt Wiki] Table of Hardware: VPN performance

3 Likes

Hi,

yes its about 20-30 MBPs we already have Devices can do more with x64 Architecture but i find it really hard to find some Modell for this low End Task. Thanks for the Links, they are really helpfull.

Greetings

1 Like

Just fun since I have a couple of older Raspberry Pis running for various reasons I just tested them. On the local lan with no bottlenecks, cipher AES-256-GCM, to/from a high performance openvpn server:

An old Pi 3 (not +, with the 100mbit ethernet i/f): 85mbps.
An old Pi Zero running a 100mbit ethernet dongle: 15mbps.

The current Pi 4 and Pi Zero 2 can be expected to perform much better and either will be more than adequate. (But neither of them are supported by version 18 of OpenWRT. The new Zero 2 is not yet supported in the trunk.)

Does it have to be openvpn or would wireguard do? Tend to get much better speed.

1 Like

Hi all,

Thanks for your answers, I need at least 3 Network Ports on the Router and yes it has to be Openvpn.

Greetings