GL-MT2500 Possiblity to swap to 2.5GbE?

Hi!

im trying to figure out if its possible to reconfigure a port for 2.5GbE or if its limitied to a 1GbE physically.

The MT2500 has a wan port of 2.5GbE but only a LAN for 1GbE this makes no sense having this way since you will always be limited to 1GbE speeds. Is it possible to reconfigure the LAN to 2.5GbE? Or could you swap interfaces to make the WAN 1GbE and Lan 2.5GbE? If swapping is possible how do you manage it?

Thank you in advance.

That the device has a 1Gb ethernet chip behind its lan port, so that would be a hardware limitation, and not possible to 'reconfigure.' If you consider it the other way -- why would it not be configured at 2.5G if it was capable of it from a hardware perspective?

Sure, this could be done... but what would you gain?

When i think about probably nothing, maybe my idea isnt applicable.

I do have a 2.5GbE switch. Making the link between the router and switch at 2.5GbE should give better connectivity speeds when cross talking between networks?

If having 3 Vlans that need to go upp to the router itself to access other networks on the LAN would that not increase speeds if the router has a 2.5GbE interface instead of 1 GbE?

the device can't probably route at 2.5gbit anyway ?

you can always get an USB 2.5gbit ethernet adapter.

Yes, if you have a high bandwidth requirement across VLANs, this would improve performance. But you’d need to be talking about fairly intensive inter-vlan routing. If your other networks are a guest and IoT network, for example, typically there would be very little inter-vlan routing and therefore no benefit.

Thats a question i need to check aswell. Probably not...
I just thought the device having a wan port for 2.5GbE and a Lan ports for 1GbE seemd strange since getting a WAN connection from an ISP thats 2.5GbE seems very unreasonable, especially in my area where you only get offered speeds of 1 Gbit.

well i thought of having a Plex server on the IoT network. Also having a NAS to have for not only movies in it but also music and stored VM image files. Would that not be benefitial?

I have 10Gbps symmetric speed from my isp. It is very much a matter of where you live.

But I think the theory of the 2.5G wan is to be able to saturate both a 1Gbps Ethernet link and wifi connections simultaneously when the user has >1gbps isp speeds.

How fast is the nas? And how many high bandwidth streams do you expect simultaneously?

Ok i see, that makes sense, the device i probably overkill and the chip is probably applicable on other devices aswell. The device itself i belive has no wireless.

We are a family of 5 people, so i would say fairly much so. There is also a cached media server in the home network for the kids then they play games. In example steam frequently downloaded steam games stores there.

Using a Synology NAS to store and power VM files could also strain the network. Nas has 10GbE ports

Why not put it on the lan vlan and then just have it switched (rather than routed)?

The setting of 2,5 instead of 1Gbps should happen automatically if three values are met.

1 and 2: Ethernet chip on both ports and the actual RJ-45 connectors can handle 2,5Gbps. (What ACTUAL speed for the ports does the datasheet say?).
3: the cable between the ports in point 1 and 2 can handle 2,5Gbps or more. Which mean at least cat5e or more likely cat6 cable.

The datasheet say the wan is 2.5GbE
Lan only 1GbE.

And the link to the isp is 2.5GbE as expected, but my internet connection isnt that high so i feel its a waste using that port for WAN , would have better uses on the Lan side

how ?
you only have two ports, the other one will always cap you.

I dunno really, instead of messing around with diffrent levels of controlling the network i feel keeping it on the network layer makes it easier for managment? Controlling flow and having only 1 place to check when something isnt working? Im not overly familiar with managed switches. Ive been using vlans with unmanaged switches so when i finally have a managed i havent really been tinkering so much in its features, maybe should do so

If you have multiple lan networks and need to access them between each other, this is done in the router if you havent set up the switch and routing of traffic in th L2 layer.
Or am i missing something?

it wasn't the point I was trying to make ... :slight_smile:

^^^ This is a bad idea, as it can lead to a number of issues including
an unpredictable and unstable network.

Unless you have a high end (L2+ or L3) managed switch, your switch will not be able to do much or anything in the way of routing, as it is purely designed for switching. You will be able to keep VLANs separated and control the vlan-port membership, but everything goes back to the router for inter-vlan routing.

That said, putting the NAS on the network that demands more bandwidth is usually the logical choice, unless there is a reason you don't trust your NAS.

Well, if you have a managed switch with at least one possibility of a 2,5Gbps port you can connect it to the router 2,5Gbps port and run a full 1,25ish Gbps duplex trunk connection (if you run both wan and lan on it). And even connect the wan to a port in the switch and simply switch it on L2 to the router.

Then you can have the now free 1Gbps port on the router for network admin purposes for example.