GL.iNET Flint 2 (GL-MT6000) discussions

I am using 80Mhz channels, yes. There is not much channel 36 contention where I'm at, so I'm not suspecting that is the issue. But I'm curious how things look for you if you avoid setting ch 36 explicitly. :face_with_monocle:

Makes sense in one way, but not really. Because I can poweroff on my RT3200 even with the power switch locked in the "ON" state.

I am not saying it is impossible to design poweroff without power switch. I am saying that it is an OEM design decision and it is logical that devices designed with power button are also designed with an ability for ACPI power off, while the devices designed without power button do not have such an ability.
(I just checked this with my cudy wr3000: it has no power button and "poweroff" reboots it. But I am not saying anything more than repeating the observation that typically the poweroff command reboots routers without power button.)

2 Likes

They were set up the same way.

How can I enter OpenWrt failsafe mode?

I successfully used the general doc for my other router.

For GL-MT6000 failsafe mode it should blink after 15-20 seconds and then pressing reset button but for me it is blinking 2 times very early and then the led is constantly on.

I have a openwrt snapshot from around 01.2024 installed. The U-boot is still OEM.

I either need to add a new ssh key or need to allow 0.0.0.0 listening for uhttpd =) (works fine using failsafe mode)

Might be from slightly too early time:
I added the proper support for LEDs in mid-January. Current LED behaviour is described here:

You should press the button during the 2 seconds of rapid blinking at preinit/failsafe entrance moment.

If there is no LED activity, your best bet is to wait 15 seconds and then repeatedly press the button during the next few seconds. But as there is no LED status even after that, it will be really difficult to even understand if the router entered the failsafe mode.

Ps. If you have too old snapshot, sysupgrade it first (if you are able)

2 Likes

Oh, now it makes sense ^^

I will try that. Which lan port do I need?

Edit:
It worked pressing it after 15s. THANK YOU! @hnyman
It is wan/lan1 (its 1 port)

1 Like

Guys, can you recommend updating to OpenWrt 23.05.03? Or should I wait (saw some message of failing 160MHz)?

I am running a snapshot with the 6.6.25 kernel built a few days ago. Has been rock solid. Not using 160 MHz due to lack of interest. 80 MHz is plenty for my setup.

2 Likes

only got my router this week and 23.05.03 was my first install, so far i haven't had any problems with it. only using 80MHz too though.

2 Likes

Mine has been rock solid with a manual channel on 80MHz and on the latest snapshot been quite fast.

The only oddity I've had with the router is sometime my Macbook gets iMessages several minutes after my iPhone. I have no idea where to begin troubleshooting it.

Ran a speed test today. I have 800/20 cable internet.

1 Like

I'm using 160 MHz just fine, although I've always manually selected the best channel.

Totix92 was using firmware 4.5.8, which doesn't use wireless-regdb and instead uses the proprietary MTK driver. So it's no surprise that it'll behave differently.

Thank you all for the answers! I updated to 23.05.3 and can also confirm that 160 MHz works.

Does it make sense to update even to the latest snapshot version? Any advantages?

I think it's currently better to use snapshots since the device is still relatively new and the stable release is a downgrade in terms of fixes. But with the stable release you can install any package whenever you want, which you can't with a snapshot without first updating it to the latest version.

1 Like

Any updates after switching away from CH 36?

1 Like

Is my temperature normal?

mine is the same average temperature.

1 Like

Yes, mine is 53 currently.

# temps.sh 
CPU temp       :  53°C
2.4 GHz Radio  :  55°C
5 GHz Radio    :  55°C
/root/bin/temps.sh
#!/bin/ash
#cpu=$(cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp)
#rad=$(cat /sys/devices/platform/soc/18000000.wifi/ieee80211/phy0/hwmon0/temp1_input)
#rae=$(cat /sys/devices/platform/soc/18000000.wifi/ieee80211/phy1/hwmon1/temp1_input)

cpu=$(cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp)
rae=$(cat /sys/devices/platform/soc/18000000.wifi/ieee80211/phy0/hwmon1/temp1_input)
rad=$(cat /sys/devices/platform/soc/18000000.wifi/ieee80211/phy1/hwmon2/temp1_input)

echo "CPU temp       :  $(( cpu / 1000 ))°C"
echo "2.4 GHz Radio  :  $(( rae / 1000 ))°C"
echo "5 GHz Radio    :  $(( rad / 1000 ))°C"
2 Likes

Unfortunately a crash today at 9:30AM while on 44. Same type of wifi crash as when it was on 36.

I'll keep it running that way for a while. Let's see if it becomes a habit.

I think wifi crashes when a device leaves, specifically iPhones (which are really the devices that usually leave while powered on in this place). Also suspecting two Lenovo laptops.

A memory usage bump can be seen at the time, but not sure if it's before or after. The logs don't say much or say too much but nothing obvious.

I'll keep looking.

Edit: I know that Apple and WPA3 may be an issue as that was posted above. Downgrading to WPA2 might probably work but that's something I'll do as last resort.

I use WPA3 on 5GHz, never had a single wifi crash on this device, have iPhones, ThinkPad, Shield TV Pro, a few more devices all on it. If you are on "stable" you might consider a snapshot where the mt76 drivers are far more up to date.

4 Likes