GL.inet B1300 (ipq4028) vs MT1300 (mt7621a/mt7615) best outlook?

I'm looking for a new router and currently have in mind either the GL.inet B1300 (Convexa-B) and GL.inet MT1300 (Beryl). What I really want is a small (physically) router with dual band wifi including 2x2 5ghz and gigabit/usb, and I may end up getting two or more and only doing actual routing with one.

The B1300 has an ipq4028 platform and the MT1300 has the MT7621A / MT7615 platform.

My question is, which of these two is likely to have a better future with openwrt mainline? As I can gather now, MT76 open source drivers have unreliable wifi right now, but people seem to think mt76 is more open and has more cooperation from the vendor, so maybe it'll be better long term? The ipq4028 seems to be part of the same family as the quite popular ipq4018, but I don't have a good sense of how well regarded the open source wifi drivers are in Openwrt, I just have a sense that qualcomm may be less regarded as open source players.

hmmm change of plan. I randomly checked Amazon's price on the B1300 and they were having a lightning sale for nearly $40 off (AUD) and so I bought it. If I am disappointed in any way it'll still be useful stock as a dumb AP, though I am fairly confident it'll be a good experience.

The one thing which disappointed me about the B1300 is that you can't really use USB 3.0 and 2.4 GHz WiFi at the same time due to interference issues. It's less of a problem with storage devices apparently, but using LTE WWAN modem connected via USB 3.0 made it impossible to connect to the 2.4 GHz WiFi, I had to "reduce" it (by using a USB 2.0-only extension cord) to use USB 2.0 only (which then limits the available speed, obviously) in order to get it working.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.