I have a weird problem today. It seems pretty likely that it's just some dumb config problem, but I am looking for ideas as I continue to poke at this.
I just set up a new router (Linksys WRT3200ACM, LEDE Reboot 17.01.4 r3560-79f57e422d). I have Frontier FiOS 50/15 service. Measured speed with dslreports/speedtest comes pretty close to that but with lousy bufferbloat.
Time to install SQM, except that I temporarily forgot that it was SQM so I installed plain old QOS instead. Oops, uninstall that and install SQM. Speed test now shows no better than 10/6! What? I've tried a variety of different configs, including the recommended cake/piec-of-cake, flipping my up/down speed estimates, etc. Finally, I uninstalled SQM and deleted the SQM (and QOS) config files from /etc/config.
Speed is still no better than 10/6 (and often measures worse).
Here is my hunch: when I installed QOS, it also installed a bunch of kernel modules and other things. Foolish me did not capture that info. When I uninstalled QOS, it only uninstalled qos-scripts and the Luci module. I think something must be left behind that is hindering me.
I know I can probably resolve this by reflashing, but ... lazy ... if there is an easier fix, like removing just the right kernel modules or removing a kink from my WAN cable, or....