Getting Samba to see VLAN Interface

Hey, just upgraded to 18.01, grateful to have the KRACK fix. I run a SOHO with a pfSense box between cable modem and a Netgear WNDR 3700v4 (running OpenWRT), used as WAP and switch, with different VLANs to segregate network users. I have a NAS plugged into the USB on the Netgear box, with Samba set up, and all parameters appear to be aligned, but I can't seem to map from a Windows 10 workstation to the NAS. Pings no problem, and I have gone deep to see if this is a Win10 problem (an OS that's known to have one in the past). However, I think the issue is that the LuCI set up has a default to look at only the interfaces 'lo' and 'br-lan', but I can't see how to get it to see the VLAN interfaces.

netstat -tapn | grep smbd shows listening ports, but not for the VLAN I want to access the Sambashare. Digging deep, I found that the /etc/samba/smb.conf derives from the smb.conf.template, and it is advised to edit this in the LuCI interface. However, the templates suggest that the interfaces = |INTERFACES| line should not be edited. Further digging indicates "Modifications can be made to the /etc/samba/smb.conf.template file, based on /var/etc/smb.conf file, created by /etc/init.d/samba . "

Question, how can I expand/modify the listening interfaces in the Samba, either by changing the smb.conf.template or hacking the /etc/init.d/samba file to allow for listening on the desired VLAN?

It seems this was discussed in an earlier wiki, that was lost in the great meltdown of May 2018 (Samba share on different VLANS (Page 1) - General ...OpenWRT

Thanks for any advice/tips.

P

I found the solution for any interested. Posted at Luci samba interface