Getting DHCP response from Comcast

For what it is worth, I have previously setup my cable modem through a managed switch to my er-x (running edgeos). My switch is a much higher end tp-link managed poe switch (t1600-28ps). My er-x wan was untagged and the LANs were tagged. this did work as expected.

And now my Comcast has gone down, unrelated (cable modem has no signal and outage reported). Go figure.

OK, this afternoon she disabled the loop detection in the switch and IMMEDIATELY it began to work. So the modem was locking to the first layer 2 MAC address it heard, which was the loop detection packets.

With that turned off it works as follows:

1. RPi using eth0.1 as LAN and eth0.2 as WAN
  2. RPi plugged to switch port 1 which is tagged for vlan 1 and 2
  3. Modem plugged to switch port 8 which is untagged for only vlan 2
  4. Loop detection turned off.
  5. Switch in static IP mode
  6. Wifi Access point plugged into another switch port untagged for VLAN 1
  7. With RPi turned on and switch turned on... power cycle modem and everything works.
1 Like

Awesome! Glad it is working and thanks for the info about what caused the issue. Probably not a rush, but eventually you'll want to replace that stupid switch.

Best of all, you don't have to make your sister call Comcast!

Nah, it's got a long randomly generated password, and a static IP on a private subnet, in this application I think it'll be fine.

worst case I'll get a UE300 USB adapter and set that as WAN and use the switch as LAN only.

This is definitely the best part.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.