German Vodafone Fritz!Box 7430 adsl2+ config

Could you please post the output of:
ubus call dsl metrics
EDIT: this is more or less identical to service dsl_control dslstat what I would like to see is the full set

The config didn't survive a reboot, now I get an exception again. I'll keep trying later! Thanks for the help!

That should be the right one. You only need bspatch if you want the Annex A firmware or an older version ("release").

Thanks for everyone's help, I really appreciate your time!

I have played around with the configuration and occasionally, the modem reports a connection but I cannot ping anything in the internet and I cannot reproduce it. From what I can see this happens randomly.

I have also tried different firmwares and they behave the same, the modem tries to connect but errors out.

firmwares
  • I have patched the annex A firmware from the OpenWRT image to be annex B (lantiq-vrx200-b.bin)
  • I have used two different firmwares from the official avm image (vr9-B-dsl.bin and release-vr9-B-dsl.bin)

In my opinion I am missing some configuration detail to make authentication work. The random connections always happen when I do changes to the configuration so I must be very close to a working configuration.

I have also installed tcpdump on the router and cannot catch anything while the modem tries to connect, I haven't gotten a completed connection since I installed it.

tcpdump
root@OpenWrt:~# tcpdump -i dsl0 -vv
tcpdump: listening on dsl0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 262144 bytes
^C
0 packets captured
0 packets received by filter
0 packets dropped by kernel

I would really love to get this working but I am out of ideas.

• Is there another way to capture the traffic between the router and my isp to diagnose the problem?
  • Any other way to diagnose the problem?

Here is when I caught it connected once, I think service dsl_control dslstat is identical

dslstat
root@OpenWrt:~# service dsl_control dslstat
{
	"api_version": "4.17.18.6",
	"firmware_version": "5.9.0.13.0.2",
	"chipset": "Lantiq-VRX200",
	"driver_version": "1.5.17.6",
	"state": "Showtime with TC-Layer sync",
	"state_num": 7,
	"up": true,
	"uptime": 1008,
	"atu_c": {
		"vendor_id": [
		],
		"vendor": "Broadcom 177.166",
		"system_vendor_id": [
		],
		"version": [
		],
		"serial": [
		]
	},
	"power_state": "L0 - Synchronized",
	"power_state_num": 0,
	"xtse": [
	],
	"annex": "J",
	"standard": "G.992.5",
	"mode": "G.992.5 (ADSL2+)",
	"upstream": {
		"trellis": true,
		"bitswap": false,
		"retx": false,
		"virtual_noise": false,
		"ra_mode_num": 4294967295,
		"interleave_delay": 250,
		"inp": 25.500000,
		"data_rate": 2969000,
		"latn": 11.900000,
		"satn": 11.300000,
		"snr": 7.800000,
		"actps": -40.700000,
		"actatp": 12.800000,
		"attndr": 2969000
	},
	"downstream": {
		"trellis": true,
		"bitswap": true,
		"retx": false,
		"virtual_noise": false,
		"ra_mode_num": 4294967295,
		"interleave_delay": 8000,
		"inp": 2.000000,
		"data_rate": 17428000,
		"latn": 22.400000,
		"satn": 20.300000,
		"snr": 6.100000,
		"actps": -41.800000,
		"actatp": 17.900000,
		"attndr": 17472000
	},
	"olr": {
		"downstream": {
			"bitswap": {
				"requested": 2,
				"executed": 1,
				"rejected": 0,
				"timeout": 0
			},
			"sra": {
				"requested": 0,
				"executed": 0,
			},
			"sos": {
			}
		},
		"upstream": {
			"bitswap": {
			},
			"sra": {
			},
			"sos": {
			}
		}
	},
	"errors": {
		"near": {
			"es": 0,
			"ses": 0,
			"loss": 0,
			"uas": 580,
			"lofs": 0,
			"fecs": 274,
			"cv_c": 0,
			"fec_c": 1134,
			"hec": 0,
			"ibe": 4294967295,
			"crc_p": 0,
			"crcp_p": 0,
			"cv_p": 0,
			"cvp_p": 0
		},
		"far": {
			"es": 215,
			"ses": 0,
			"loss": 0,
			"uas": 580,
			"lofs": 0,
			"fecs": 0,
			"cv_c": 243,
			"fec_c": 0,
			"hec": 465,
			"ibe": 23301,
			"crc_p": 0,
			"crcp_p": 0,
			"cv_p": 0,
			"cvp_p": 0,
			"rx_corrupted": 0,
			"rx_uncorrected_protected": 0,
			"rx_retransmitted": 0,
			"rx_corrected": 0,
			"tx_retransmitted": 0
		}
	}
}

From TD-9980B on Vodafone Germany: PPPOE Discovery fails:

Have you tried the values above? Is your line Vodafone or Telekom owned?

Yes, annex is J, tone is bv and I have tried a couple of values for the VLAN (7, 8, and 132, and no VLAN)

Could you post your latest network config please? Should help someone assist you.

This is your primary problem t tackle first, unless you get a robust and reliable sync, there is no way to debug configuration issues on higher layers.
Could you try:
a) to replace the power supply unit (just look whether you have an appropriate power supply with at least as much current), Fritzboxen are rumored to be flaky/temperamental with marginal power (thinking of this, this is not specific to fritzboxen)
b) replace the Fritzbox with some other modem, to make sure that your actual link works well (to rule out some general issue with your link)

Today I have spent another couple of hours on the problem, here is an update:

Situation: I have 3 routers.

• The one provided by my ISP (Vodafone, Easybox 804). This one works just fine. It has issues with qos (a single download blocks the entire connection).
  • Two Fritz!Box 7430.
    • Fritz!Box one still has the original OS and has worked fine for quite some time and does proper qos.
    • Fritz!Box two has been sitting in the closet until I decided to flash OpenWrt on it, this is the router that has been used in this thread

Since I flashed OpenWrt on Fritz!Box two, Fritz!Box one stopped connecting. Fritz!Box one simply says it is not connected to the ISP as if there was no cable connected, even though it worked just fine before and I did not do any flashing.

• I can exclude a problem with my phone line because the Easybox is still working the same as before.
  • I think the reason why I could not connect Fritz!Box two (with OpenWrt) to the internet is external to OpenWrt: for testing, I reflashed Fritz!Box two with the original Fritz!OS and now I get the same behavior as with Fritz!Box one, i.e. it simply doesn't see a connection to the ISP, as if there was no cable plugged in, therefore I assume that OpenWrt could not make a connection with my ISP is for some reason that has nothing to do with OpenWrt.

Now I have still three routers

• The Easybox by my ISP works just as before (same qos issues).
  • Fritz!Box one has never been flashed and does not see a connection to my ISP
  • Fritz!Box two has been Flashed to OpenWrt and back to Fritz!OS and also doesn't see a connection to my ISP

I don't think breaking two routers the same way at the same time is an accident and there must be an underlying cause. I can only speculate here. Maybe it could have been some kind of over-voltage on my phone line that zapped the Fritz!Box modems and that happened when I tried to connect the two Fritz!Boxes, but this doesn't explain how I got connections sometimes when changing the DSL settings in OpenWrt. Another explanation could be that the many failed connection attempts triggered something on the side of my ISP that blocks the Fritz!Boxes.

In conclusion I don't see any way to go forward unless someone comes up with a great idea. If I find time, I'll call Vodafone next week but I have little hope that they will be of any help.

Thanks for your time and effort, I really appreciate your input! The whole adventure was a lot of fun and quite educational.