[GCC 7.2 BUILD] Optimized TP-Link Archer C7 V2 AC1750 LEDE Firmware

Hi, can you point me to the exact build link on which you were able to achieve 500 mbps? thanks!
(I never could get past 350 mbps trying almost every build)

I used this build.

2 Likes

If anyone's on Shunjou's last build (June 9, 2019), note that you might run into the issue of your Startup script mysteriously being wiped out upon router reboots. This is related to https://github.com/openwrt/luci/issues/2760, specifically in a commit on June 5, 2019: https://github.com/openwrt/luci/commit/1c09ee5e42550d6339bffa58d4cba3461948e19c

After commit 1c09ee5 using any of the web buttons in LuCI System → Startup erase all the content in /etc/rc.local

A fix was committed on August 21, 2019: https://github.com/openwrt/luci/issues/2760#ref-commit-7995ef3

Using Shunjou's April 20, 2019 builds will presumably avoid this issue: https://github.com/shunjou/openwrt-optimized-archer-c7-v2/tree/4943a2f01ac06b93e82c5b84ab01273f8f2f0d7d

Many thanks to @shunjou for providing these builds :slight_smile: It is my build of choice on 5 Archer C7s I've set up for my parents, friends, and myself.

Luckily I don't use a startup script, but I hope @shunjou keep updating his builds.

I did a clean install of shunjou's June 2019 build (development seems to have stalled?).

Trying to get DNSSEC up, tried UNBOUND and also STUBBY. Both simply cannot even start with default configs.

UNBOUND just give me a one-liner error within 5 seconds of starting:

Thu Oct 24 01:58:03 2019 daemon.info procd: Instance unbound::unbound s in a crash loop 6 crashes, 0 seconds since last crash

then I tried STUBBY, but all I got was a bunch of symbol not found errors:

Thu Oct 24 02:22:40 2019 daemon.err stubby[17694]: Error relocating /usr/lib/libgetdns.so.10: ENGINE_by_id: symbol not found
Thu Oct 24 02:22:40 2019 daemon.err stubby[17694]: Error relocating /usr/lib/libgetdns.so.10: ENGINE_free: symbol not found
Thu Oct 24 02:22:40 2019 daemon.err stubby[17694]: Error relocating /usr/lib/libgetdns.so.10: ENGINE_set_default: symbol not found
Thu Oct 24 02:22:40 2019 daemon.err stubby[17694]: Error relocating /usr/lib/libgetdns.so.10: ENGINE_finish: symbol not found
Thu Oct 24 02:22:40 2019 daemon.err stubby[17694]: Error relocating /usr/lib/libgetdns.so.10: ENGINE_load_builtin_engines: symbol not found

Am I missing something obvious? Nobody seems to have reported issues with shunjou's build with unbound or stubby?

Side question seeing this thread is quiet, have you guys move on to another newer better C7 build by another dev? If so, pray tell.

I'm on shunjou's April 20, 2019 build due to the Startup page bug I mentioned a couple posts above in [GCC 7.2 BUILD] Optimized TP-Link Archer C7 V2 AC1750 LEDE Firmware - #1121 by jackiechun for the June 2019 build.

However, I'm using dnsmasq and the adblock module (not simple-adblock).

I haven't found a better build for my C7 V2 than Shunjou's build and I've looked quite a bit. I'm just waiting for him to release new builds. I went from gwlim's to shunjou's.

I use Shunjou's build from June, I have no startup scripts. I did a lot of testing and the wi fi of Shunjou's was the most stable. It's in an environment with 18 to 20 wireless clients and approx. 1TB of download traffic per month and has been very stable.

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and am looking want to install OpenWRT/LEDE on my Archer C7 v2 (CA) for the first time, overwriting my stock TPLINK firmware. I think this Canadian version is basically the same as the US version as I can install stock TPLink firmware from both the CA and US TPLINK site.

On the Shunjou Github page, I see these firmwares:

1. openwrt-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-c7-v2-squashfs-factory-us.bin
  2. openwrt-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-c7-v2-squashfs-factory.bin
  3. openwrt-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-c7-v2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

Which of these 3 firmwares should I use for a fresh install over-top of the stock TPLINK Firmware?

Is there a simple set of instructions that someone can write that show how I set this up?

Thanks in advance for your help!

See https://openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/archer-c7-1750#tab__firmware_installation

@tmomas thanks for your reply.

So it looks like I can add the openwrt firmware in the standard TPLink firmware upgrade page and do not have to do anything with SSH? Is this correct?

Since there are two factory firmwares on the shunjou GitHub page, which one should I go with? openwrt-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-c7-v2-squashfs-factory-us.bin or openwrt-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-c7-v2-squashfs-factory.bin?

Cheers and thanks for your help.

I take back the wi fi stability. The 2.4GHz keeps dying and no one can connect , this happens every few days it seems. I'm troubleshooting it currently so if I find anything that fixes it I'll post it here.

I also have a Canadian Archer C7 v2, I used openwrt-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-c7-v2-squashfs-factory.bin. For subsequent OpenWRT to OpenWRT flashes use openwrt-ath79-generic-tplink_archer-c7-v2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin.

This hasn't happened to me at all on the latest Shunjou June build with either of the 2 people who still use 2.4ghz in my home. Did you update the ath10k firmware?

I did not update the ath10k firmware. I wish there were only 2 clients on 2.4, there are currently 11 devices connected! I'd love to disable the 2.4 but some clients only support it.

i noticed the same thing when i had wifi cameras connected through my server. Occasionally after a reboot it work again for a bit then start disconnecting, so something to do with interference? blame canada

Lol. I think it maybe related to the amount of data pushed through the interface. I see 25 to 50ish Gigs a day, mind you not all the client are connected to the 2.4 wireless. I have a cron job to restart the 2.4Ghz radio everyday to work around the issue.

its fast without nat but nothing compares to the stock nat unfortunately

I'm using 2 Archers C7 v2's as dumb aps in my network.
Is this build gonna give me some better performance or can I just better use the official build?

The official 19.07-rc2 build works perfect for me.

https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/19.07.0-rc2/targets/ath79/generic/

( Make sure you read the flashing instructions if you are switching from ar71xx to ath97 ! )

1 Like