Follow on conversation for TP-Link Archer A6 v2 5GHz improvements, including user support

Which build #?

i have used master snapshot and variant 2 snapshot. In both i have changed country code to TW , changed tx power to max, turned of legacy 11b rates and reboot. After doing this 5ghz radio is connected to my android phone without any problems

26 builds (...us-sysupgrade.bin)

Please, include network tools "iperf3" in your build to check 5ghz performance

Is the pci bus errors preventing something?

Does this happen when you try build 25?

Have you tried

opkg install iperf3

Build script patches welcome.

No. Because i am using this router for testing. no internet connection in this router. Also "zram_swap and kmod_zram" are useless for non-usb router. So, remove this two packages from your build.

may be it not prevent anything. But create a random reboots( also 5g wireless radio becomes inactive) after first booting of openwrt firmware.

Firmware from Latest stock 1.1.7 firmware>>

BoardData2.bin from stock 1.1.7 firmware

Did some testing with both variant 1 and 2. Both exhibit same behavior for me. Only my phone fails to connect to 5ghz, other devices I tried connected fine. But when any amount of load is placed the router restarts. Tried copying a file, restarts after one or 2 megs have been transferred, same with running a speed test. Starts fine and router restarts immediately. 2.5ghz works perfectly fine.
Also tested out both variants you suggested(25 v1 and v2), same behaviour as 27 v1 and v2.

Tried everything you suggested and changed other settings as well. Still the same as I mentioned above.

check removing zram-swap and kmod-swap. i have faced random reboot only one time after first boot of openwrt. after that random reboot never happen to me. i have run the router as second wired ap for 4 hours and have found random boot no more.

changes will be in build 29

CONFIG_PACKAGE_iperf3=y

#CONFIG_PACKAGE_kmod-zram=y
#CONFIG_PACKAGE_zram-swap=y

1 Like

Build 25 is from before 10-Nov-2020, someone more knowledgeable on openwrt than I will have to troubleshoot this. Can you open a new thread on this specific issue and link it back here? I will continue to build what ever is needed for testing.

See build 30, variant 3

1 Like

Absolute nonsense. Do you even know what zram is and how it works?

why not. i use zram_swap in lineage os in my android phones. zram do compression of pages and save them to data partition to reduce over-use of ram. it is useful for low end devices. but our router have 128mb ram that is huge for its operation, so we do not need to hit our 16mb flash for zram.. Also zram need some manual coding to work on and many non linux users are not familiar with it..

So should it stay or go? If I have to decide it will go back in since it was from the config used to build the tests in the PR. Please provide an articulate risks & benefits analysis. I will put it back before tonight's scheduled build otherwise.

There is no "zram_swap" in LineageOS. On some (not all!) phones, LineageOS uses a zram block device for swapping (which is the typical use case, akin to what the zram-swap package in OpenWrt does). There's no coding invloved, the UCI configuration system takes care of the zram-swap configuration for you.
Now, suggesting zram is only useful on devices with USB support makes absolutely no sense.

I just flashed your builds on my Archer C6. The speed improvement on 5GHz is very noticeable. Thank you very much for your work.