Flashing OpenWrt on Netgear Nighthawk R8000

sorry before run all points I do sudo -i

1 Like

Do not run make with sudo.

2 Likes

Hi! I've complied successfully! I try to flash with gui but now I don't see the wifi...
the web interface isn't accessible. I'm able to access with SSH...

Any solutions?

I think it's not normal:

root@OpenWrt:~# /etc/init.d/uhttpd restart
-ash: /etc/init.d/uhttpd: not found

Maybe you flashed an image without LuCI.
-> Install LuCI manually

ok thanks! I'll see...
During menuconfig I keep all by default except:
->Target System->Broadcom BCM47xx/53xx (ARM)
->Target Profile->NetGear R8000

For a complete and correct flashing should I have selected something else? the existing images on openwrt.org has another particular config?

I see that 2.4 GHz wifi band stay on 144 mbps speed is there any way to increase? Before was very high and the specification says 600mbps

But... If I want to upgrade? Can I use this? (Firmware OpenWrt Upgrade URL: http://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/18.06.2/targets/bcm53xx/generic/openwrt-18.06.2-bcm53xx-netgear-r8000-squashfs.chk)

Can I flash also the same version? I risk brick?

Hi! I reuse this my old post! I don't remembrer how but I flashed with success! But now I see a strange things... Wifi sometimes goes down and from software section I see a total space about 21.55 MB this model has 128MB of flash... I tryed an update firmware keeping setting but nothing changed. my firmware stuck on 18.06.4.

should be more like:
make menuconfig (choose architecture/processor type)
make defconfig (adds in openwrt defaults as if you downloaded a pre-made stable version)
make menuconfig ( add packages, compiler options, etc)
make kernel_menuconfig (edit kernel options like tickless, drivers, etc) really optional
make download ( downloads necessary files for multitasking during the building process)
make -j2 V=s ( example: use 2 cpu's to compile everything.) (build OpenWRT with console logging, you can see where build failed.).

So for every new version should I rebild the package?

Yes because there are different backports/patches/commits being added or removed even to the stable releases. My understanding is that if you one doesn't choose a specific branch such as 18.06.5, then it builds from the master branch. Master is CONSTANTLY changing even by the day so a recompile is best.

1 Like

I've got a couple of Archer C7 units running 'stock' 19.07.1, one v5 as an 'Access Point(WDS)' and another v2 as a 'Client (WDS)' . I want to run both C7 units as 'Client (WDS)' so have now got an R8000 from eBay that I want to flash with 19.07.1 and configure as a central Access Point.

I've been through the steps to build openwrt-bcm53xx-netgear-r8000-squashfs.chk to get around Netgear's firmware downgrade obstacle but get some warnings during all of the make steps.

WARNING: Makefile 'package/feeds/packages/afalg_engine/Makefile' has a dependency on 'libopenssl-conf', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/feeds/telephony/asterisk-16.x/Makefile' has a dependency on 'liblua5.3', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/feeds/packages/elektra/Makefile' has a dependency on 'lua5.3', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/feeds/packages/frr/Makefile' has a dependency on 'more', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/feeds/packages/haproxy/Makefile' has a dependency on 'liblua5.3', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/feeds/packages/haproxy/Makefile' has a dependency on 'liblua5.3', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/feeds/packages/ksmbd/Makefile' has a dependency on 'kmod-crypto-arc4', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/feeds/packages/luasocket/Makefile' has a dependency on 'liblua5.3', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/feeds/packages/openvswitch/Makefile' has a dependency on 'kmod-nsh', which does not exist
WARNING: Makefile 'package/feeds/packages/stubby/Makefile' has a dependency on 'ca-certs', which does not exist

I've done the build on both Fedora 31 and Ubuntu 19.10 systems with the same warnings but the firmware image created is the same size on both.

I'm maybe being overcautious but just want to ask if these warning can be safely ignored? I really don't want to brick the R8000 on my first attempt to flash OpenWRT!

Are you building from Master or did you checkout a Stable branch? Did you make sure to update your sources?

I did the git clone from willson556 as suggested by @matmilan. Not sure if this is Master or Stable but as it doesn't appear to have been updated in the last year, I presume it's stable. And for both the Fedora and Ubuntu builds, they were fresh clones followed by 'feeds update -a', 'feeds install -a', 'make menuconfig' and 'make'.

I've not built OpenWrt before so apologies if that doesn't answer your question.

I got the same problem, and the same question @PhilTheHill did you find out something? For me it still complains about missing files, even with the required libraries installed. I am wondering if I have a different compiler version or something like that.

Hi @PietervanderStar I ran the R8000 for 3/4 days with the latest NETGEAR firmware (already installed so no upgrade required) to prove the hardware was OK and then decided to try OpenWRT 19.07.1.

Didn't see any downside to trying the full openwrt-19.07.1-bcm53xx-netgear-r8000-squashfs.chk release; after all, it could only say no. But it didn't. It uploaded the firmware, rebooted and quite unexpectedly was then acceessible on 192.168.1.1 running OpenWrt! I was completly dumbstruck. I suspect that either the version check has been disabled in the latest NETGEAR firmware or that 19.07.1 now isn't regarded as a 'downgrade'.

So, I never even got to try the interim firmware build. Now playing with VLAN configurations to separate Guests, IoT, etc. with the R8000 acting as a Wireless Access Point so can't really comment on performance or stability yet.

great to know, thanks, I'll give it a shot next weekend and will report my results.

Well I guess I am not as lucky, it won't load. If someone could help me understand the missing library warnings that would be great. (or verify they can be ignored safely).
[edit]
I have netgears FW version V1.0.4.46_10.1.63
[/edit]
[edit 2]
I also tried with
V1.0.4.4_1.1.42
V1.0.4.18_10.1.49
V1.0.4.28_10.1.54
so I am curious as to your version if you can remember.
[/edit]

I'm sorry to hear that. I downloaded the latest NETGEAR version before I received the R8000 and it's the same version you specified. There's no different hardware or regional variants that I'm aware off so can't really suggest why your router wouldn't load 19.07.1

In the absence of any other feedback regarding the build warnings, I was prepared to try uploading the interim firmware build. I guess that's now what you'll have to do. Good luck and please feedback the results.