Flashing OpenWrt on Linksys MR8300 - partially bricked

Have you tried substituting your actual router IP address for routerip? If the link is bad, I could see it giving you a 404 error, but it sounds like the server isn't resolving for you at all, which would (naively) suggest that the link was used verbatim.

2 Likes

To mdwrt:

OMG you wrote the instructions manual in one line, I can't believe how easy this is...
MR8300 is now EA8300 with 512Mb RAM, everything works fine.
I am absolutely shocked how easy this is to perform, just like my EA8300 was so strait forward to upgrade.
To all : never mind serial upgrade, this is upgrade MR8300 just works with one easy command !
Many thanks mdwrt, you are the best !

Happy to hear of your success!

1 Like

Hi GillyMoMo,
I guess you can stop writing the serial upgrade manual, as the GUI upgrade has been kindly shared by mdwrt :

I really appreciate any time you invested in writing the serial manual, but the GUI install is all that's needed, as my MR8300 was upgraded using this one line instruction line. Did you try this technique on the MR9000 you posted elsewhere ?
Again, thank you !

A post was split to a new topic: MR8300 getting inaccessible

Hi Gilly,

Just to confirm, all 3 bands (2.4ghz / 5ghz x2) are working/configurable on your mr8300 even though it was loaded with the firmware originally for the dual-band ea8300?

I can confirm all 3 bands as working and configurable.

1 Like

EA8300 is definitely 3 band, not 2 band, I confirm as I own 2 EA8300 and one MR8300. As A matter of fact the MR8300 is recognized as Dallas EA8300 by OpenWRT. The only hardware difference between the EA8300 and MR8300 is 256MB and 512MB RAM.

1 Like

I haven't even a chance to start writing it. This is good then. That link above didn't show for me initially, I am guessing this is a hidden thing? So perhaps we pull this into the main EA8300 thread? I still haven't got my hands on the MR9000 yet. When I do I will post results here.

Oh and Mesh works as well. I forgot to add that. Yes it works just as well the EA8300. I am going to infer that the MR9000 is in the same boat as well. I guess I need to get my hands on one.

I got an MR8300 as well recently as a gift and have been putzing around with it, working on porting over @jeff ' s work he did for the EA8300. As we know, they are the same unit, but 512 vs 256 RAM. I was able to walk all the commits Jeff made, as well as references to the EA8300 in OpenWRT and have piggybacked the MR8300 as a configurable device in make. (Please note I am not a Dev by any means, just a hobbyist. this is my first crack at ever porting support for a device.)

If anyone wants to try it, by all means. You can just fork my repo and build from the "master-mr8300" branch. It's really using all of Jeff's work and just relabeling most pieces as the MR vs EA, so he did the hard work already.

Here is a prebuilt image to my liking you can test with if you want: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlHg8pmWgJJ_grtMTcDmxWe9ZRS8JQ?e=fdSJwV

I added the packages and themes I like and made a small pre-tweak for luci-advanced-reboot from @stangri to support the MR8300 in advance, so that will work out of the box with the image above.

In the meantime I am writing Jeff to make sure he's okay with me using his DTS file and all, and will proceed from there on trying to get this added in officially. Until then, very unofficial.

As with everything, use at your own risk! With that said, I have it flashed and running on my unit at the moment and seems to be working fine.

Long time tomato user, thinking about flashing this on an MR8300.
I want to be sure I'm flashing the correct file, I am suspicious of the size of ~7MB.
openwrt-19.07.3-ipq40xx-generic-linksys_ea8300-squashfs-factory.bin

That's the right size for the generic build:

That will be a barebones install with only the base necessities, so you will need to retroactively install Luci (web ui) and any other packages you may want.

If you wanted to help me out, you could try my image above for the MR8300. It has all the base components as well as Luci , VPN, Wire Guard, AdBlock etc... You could always flash over to the EA8300 later.

Thanks for the info.
Do I do anything with the .config file?

Nope, that's just a starting point for anyone who wants to compile their own firmware based on my build. It shows you what options I have enabled within the firmware.

Thank you for all of your work on this! I'm ready to flash my MR8300 to OpenWrt using your build. Just to make sure I understand the instructions correctly:

1. Download openwrt-snapshot-r14276-dc74d9da56-ipq40xx-generic-linksys_mr8300-squashfs-factory.bin from your OneDrive here https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlHg8pmWgJJ_grtMTcDmxWe9ZRS8JQ?e=fdSJwV
  2. Go to http://routerip/fwupdate.html
  3. Select the factory.bin file that was downloaded and click "Update".
  4. That's it?

Do I have to install Luci or do anything afterwards? Thanks in advance!

Thanks a bunch for helping me validate.

Yes, you are spot on. From "Factory" Linksys firmware, navigate to that URL and upload the factory.bin file. Luci and some additional apps are already included, I think you will find it's a complete user experience covering most bases out of the box.

One thing to note, if you didn't already know, is that these Linksys routers have dual firmware partitions, 1 and 2. So when you flash from stock linksys, for arguments sake we will say linksys is on partition 1, then OWRT will now be flashed onto partition 2. It normally round robins, so if you were to flash a newer OWRT build using the upgrade method from within OWRT, that would overwrite partition 1, where stock is, leaving you with both 1 and 2 having OWRT.

What I advise to do as a fail safe is after you flash the image above, you can use the included package I already baked in called "Advanced Reboot" (It will be in the Menu already for you). This will tell you what partition you are on, and gives you the ability to click a button to reboot back to the alternate partition. From there I would advise flashing your new OWRT build back from the Linksys side using the factory.bin file. This way you always have factory on one partition and OWRT on the alternate. Keeps things clean.

Many thanks for the Advanced Reboot tip, I always triple boot fail to switch over partitions, much much easier, plus Shutdown Device, very nice !

Yep! I also submitted a PR to get MR8300 officially supported in Advanced Reboot (and it's already accepted), so future builds will support natively.

I currently have a PR to get the MR8300 supported officially, I think it's pretty close to being accepted. Last part I just finished was making sure the LED works on top, as it currently does not with the cross flash EA8300 build.

I have updated the builds in my onedrive link to the latest version I have staged for my PR (r14438+1). It corrects the top LED (so it actually works), as well it has updated boarddata calibration files that are specific to the MR8300 radios, vs using the ones for the EA8300 when doing the cross flash.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlHg8pmWgJJ_grtMTcDmxWe9ZRS8JQ?e=fdSJwV