First user questions with installing on Netgear R7800

Hi, so I'm coming from the DD-WRT world of things. So excuse my ignorance here.

Wanted to know if there are any specific firmware builds? Or is the latest stable 19.07 off the main download section the best current build overall?

I'm use to DD-WRT having a base build, and people building off of it for specific router models.

Also, I assume I download the firmware from "Firmware OpenWrt Install URL" and not the Upgrade URL?

Using Upgrade .BIN once I want to update to lets say 19.08?

Thanks

I would recommend Hnyman's or Kong build. First one is pretty lightweight.
If you are coming from stock OEM then tftp procedure. Although flashing directly should also work. From dd-wrt tftp for sure but search for potentially simpler way. Then if you are upgrading indeed sysupgrade.

Where do I get their build if I can ask? I plan to do a direct flash since I'm wired to my router.

I found it: https://www.desipro.de/openwrt/19.07/

I use to use Kong builds with DD-WRT. Question though... I'm guessing kong-ipq806x-generic-netgear_r7800-squashfs-factory.img is the way to go? what's the differfence between Squashfs vs Initramfs?

Type R7800 in the forum search box :wink: here you have first one: Build for Netgear R7800

kong-ipq806x-generic-netgear_r7800-squashfs-factory.img it is

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it. I liked Hnyman's build that you linked, but kinda would like some multimedia... hopefully Kong still goes all out on his current builds

Thank you again.. about to do it.

I'm compiling my own based on Hnyman's environment. You might want to do the same.

1 Like