First try to support CPE210 v2 - will not boot

Hello! I had flashed the first commit that allowed for this to flash from the CPE210 unified branch of robimarko's github.

I remember reporting that wifi wasn't working, which was addressed.

I finally came back to flashing CPE210v2 with sysupgrade on a 3e5db7bcc7266c09a5f130fbee3f750f141b7291 commit.

Now i'm on the older CPE210v2 lede not working with wifi, trying to sysupgrade.

I get this.

root@LEDE:/tmp# sysupgrade -n -v lede-ar71xx-generic-cpe210v2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin 
Image metadata not found
Unsupported image (model not in support-list)
Image check 'platform_check_image' failed.

root@LEDE:/etc# cat openwrt_release 
DISTRIB_ID='LEDE'
DISTRIB_RELEASE='SNAPSHOT'
DISTRIB_REVISION='r5102+16-c5f97c9'
DISTRIB_CODENAME='reboot'
DISTRIB_TARGET='ar71xx/generic'
DISTRIB_ARCH='mips_24kc'
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION='LEDE Reboot SNAPSHOT r5102+16-c5f97c9'
DISTRIB_TAINTS='no-all'
root@LEDE:/etc# cat openwrt_version 
r5102+16-c5f97c9
root@LEDE:/etc# 

root@LEDE:/etc# cat /proc/cpuinfo 
system type		: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9533 ver 2 rev 0
machine			: TP-LINK CPE210 v2
processor		: 0
cpu model		: MIPS 24Kc V7.4
BogoMIPS		: 432.53
wait instruction	: yes
microsecond timers	: yes
tlb_entries		: 16
extra interrupt vector	: yes
hardware watchpoint	: yes, count: 4, address/irw mask: [0x0ffc, 0x0ffc, 0x0ffb, 0x0ffb]
isa			: mips1 mips2 mips32r1 mips32r2
ASEs implemented	: mips16
shadow register sets	: 1
kscratch registers	: 0
package			: 0
core			: 0
VCED exceptions		: not available
VCEI exceptions		: not available

root@LEDE:/etc# 

Questions.

1. Should I go back to stock, and then reflash the right factory image. (if so, how do I strip the headers)

2. Can I tftp? how do I get it into recovery mode for it to take the bin?

Thank you.

Well here goes nothing.

root@LEDE:/tmp# sysupgrade -n -v --force lede-ar71xx-generic-cpe210v2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin 
Image metadata not found
Unsupported image (model not in support-list)
Image check 'platform_check_image' failed but --force given - will update anyway!
killall: watchdog: no process killed
Commencing upgrade. All shell sessions will be closed now.
Connection to 192.168.1.1 closed by remote host.

Version you had installed has model detection broken and then sysupgrade wont work without forcing.
New version has that fixed

1 Like

I see. it works great. Thank you.

Is anyone here trying to get this device upstream in the near future? As far as I can guess we got everything figured out, or am I mistaken?

Yes,I gotta refresh all the patches on current branch.
Sven Eckelmann commited some nice fixes.
I gotta test it tommorow and then PR will be made

2 Likes

@robimarko that's great news especially as this device can be bought for ~30 EUR on Amazon right now if anyone is interested :wink:

If there is anything I can do to help (eg testing) let me know. Gonna bug the people at Freifunk to get it supported when it's upstream.

I got fresh imaged with kernel update and all patches refreshed.
This one should properly fix reference clock detection.
I have not yet tested them and will be unable for a day or two.
So if anybody wants to test,just PM me

First of all, thanks for wrestling this problem to the ground for all that contributed. I have a cpe210 v2.0 device with this productInfo string, not yet accounted for in tplink-safeloader.c . I had to add this "US" flavor to load the image built from the cpe210-v2-unified branch:

CPE210(TP-LINK|US|N300-2|55530000):2.0

I was able to ssh in to the device and appears usable, but this was a limited not-dead-on-arrival test. I'm working to backport to OpenWRT CC release used by the http://aredn.org project.

Thanks, Joe AE6XE

Included US string and refresh on the latest branch.
Please use this branch:https://github.com/robimarko/openwrt/tree/CPE210-v2
I won't update anything forked from LEDE now.

Please, move on from CC its time has passed

Also, I noticed the generated image did not have a copyright or signature from a binwalk like v1 images, has only kernel and filesystem.

Yes, would love to put CC behind us. We're a small team, if anyone is interested in moving to 2Ghz ch -2 outside the part 15 noise and would like to help us upgrade, please contact me. We go up to channel 184 in 5Ghz too and wide open 3Ghz channels. I have live links up to 60km and 65Mbps in 10Mhz channel. Our dilemma is many ubnt supported AirMax devices on limited 32M RAM that aren't going to be stable in an upgrade. We may end up with minimal support effort and keeping these devices on CC until they aren't used anymore -- the price is compelling to keep using.

They are using v1 header for V2 boards so images are not the same.

Newer LEDE/OpenWRT versions are not more hardware intensive than CC so that should not be a factor.
Which UBNT 32MB devices are you using?

None of the newer stuff does not have that low amount of RAM

I'm referring to this statement at https://lede-project.org/supported_devices :
"Devices with ≤4MB flash and/or ≤32MB ram suffer from limitations in extensibility and stability of operation." We need to transition to a packaged LUCI UI to lower our memory footprint too, currently based on perl and targeted to end users that have minimal or no network skillsets.

We support these ubnt models, all are 32M RAM except the UBNT Rocket:
https://www.aredn.org/content/supported-platform-matrix

Have to stick with ath9k or ath10k to extend channels for our community is licensed for outside of part 15. MicroTik devices are of keen interest.

Well,it looks like you dont support a lot of never revisions.
Not even XW UBNT devices,they have not been selling XM boards for a while now.

That same warning applies also to CC.

XW boards are all functional in nightly builds. Thanks, glad to hear there is hope that we may be able to upgrade past CC on these devices. Any overhead increase in the footprint would push the device into the instability zone.

As long as image fits into flash it will work.
My non profit has some old devices with only 4/32 and they work on LEDE/OpenWRT past CC.

What do you actually change in releases compared to OpenWRT?

We have a perl UI consuming a lot of RAM that desperately needs replaced with LUCI. We've consumed more RAM adding LUA to transition. We extend ath9k to move the devices into FCC part 95 (ham radio) frequencies. The config settings are highly controlled in the UI so that anyone can trust and bring the device live anywhere in the world and using OLSR the device just works on the network--one doesn't have to know anything about networking, OLSR, etc. Type in your FCC callsign and point the antenna, you're functional on a weekend created mesh network in, e.g. Puerto Rico, and can advertise your services. See http://ocmesh.org for examples here in SoCal.

Well,that PERL UI seems to be biggest custom change.
It would be better to move it into separate Luci package which you can simply install.
That would really ease development,ath9k is already separate in backports

Finnally opened PR
https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/pull/642

1 Like

Hello,

I try to complile the cpe210 v2 software and all work fine, but the reset button dont function, did I do something wrong?

Thanks again for all your work