First time OpenWRT user

Hi,
I haven't flashed OpenWRT before. My first time here.
My intention is to get VLAN support while using few devices in access point mode.
These are my devices:

1. Netgear X6 R8000 router - in bridge mode, using as access point for 3 SSIDs(one 2.4GHz and two 5GHz), and the LAN ports as a switch
  2. Netgear EX6400 v1 - 2 as access point for 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands
  3. Netgear EX6400 v1 - 1 as range extender for 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands
  4. Linksys EA4500 v1 - in bridge mode, using as access point for 2 bands
  5. 8 port managed TP link switch - this supports VLAN, so may not need openWRT on it
  6. Extra Linksys E2000 - not in use, but can use it

My question to the OpenWRT community is: Will these devices with OpenWRT be able to support 5-6 VLANs per SSID (I need 2-3 on 2.4GHz and 2-3 on 5GHz) in a stable manner?

I am trying to read as much as possible, but wanted to get some tips/inputs from the community on the gotchas.

thanks,
Vivek

iw list will tell you the supported (concurrent-) interface combinations for each of your radios, I wouldn't be too hopeful about the Broadcom radios in you list. How stable and reliable that's going to be is probably for you to find out.

3 Likes

hi

1. there is a traditional way, every vlan on device have own SSID
    some device will choke with 2 or more on 5ghz
  2. you could use dynamic psk based vlans
    one SSID and dozen of vlans, selection is done based on password
    this will work with all (in theory) devices
2 Likes

Thanks. I didn't know about dynamic psk based vlan. let me read about how to set this up.

Flashing of the Netgear EX6400 went well. I was able to set 2 of them to AP mode and 1 to repeater (WDS) mode.
Flashing the Linksys EA4500 worked well as well. I am using it in AP mode with all 4 LAN and 1 WAN as a regular switch.

I see your point about Broadcom chipset now. I won't be able to use OpenWRT on Netgear X6 R8000. My options (because I want AP mode, and VLAN) are either:

1. DDWRT on R8000, while OpenWRT on everything else (I will make a point not to buy Broadcom based devices anymore)
  2. Netgear FW, in router mode, and create different LAN subnet with VLAN (I don't know if it will allow VLAN tags to remain between WAN (my pfsense is on WAN side of this router) and LAN
    Any recommendations?

I also have a TP Link TL-SG108E managed switch which supports VLAN (I have not explored setting the VLAN yet). Do I need OpenWRT for it as well? I do not see any target openWRT FW for this device.

Thanks.