Firs time installation on Asus RT-AC1200 v1

Hello all,

I'm sure you guys get a lot of these but I kind of need some help installing Openwrt on an Asus RT-AC1200 v1, if I go to the firmware selector page there's only two options, KERNEL, which as far as I understand is not meant for every day use, and SYSUPGRADE which according to what I read is for routers that are already running Openwrt.

There's a section in the Wiki that talks about OEM installation using Asus Recovery firmware tool, but then step 4 says that a squashfs-sysupgrade.bin file should be used, so that doesn't make things clearer.

Is there any documentation I might've missed that you could point me to? Thanks for the help.

Are you saying that the sysupgrade file is missing from the Firmware Selector?

What fruther documentation are you seeking - and for what purposes (e.g. to setup WiFi perhaps)?

(EDIT: after re reading, it seems you're concerned about following the Wiki steps - not sure why, I assume because this device doesn't use/need a separate "factory image" - but you're seeking more Wiki instructions/docs?)

Hey, thanks for the reply,

My concern is that according to this image formats wiki I would need a factory image, since I'm going from an OEM firmware to Openwrt, the firmware selector page the Asus RT-AC1200
v1
does not generate a factory image, only KERNEL or SYSUPGRADE images.

While writing this reply I just realized that the image formats wiki says I can just use the sysupgrade image when there's no factory image being generated, and to follow what the router documentation page says, as far as I can tell the OEM installation using Asus Recovery firmware tool looks like the most straight forward way of going about this, I'll give it a try and post later how it goes.

Thanks again for the help.

1 Like

Hello all,

Following the steps on OEM installation using Asus Recovery firmware tool worked on the first try, thanks for the help.

This can be closed.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.