Firmware upgrade installs to alternate partition

Hello there all,
I was wondering if anyone could help me understand if this is what is supposed to happen during a sysupgrade. I have a Linksys 1900ACS and have been running an LEDE image created by DavidC502 for a couple of months now and recently checked for a newer version, which there is. My understanding that upon flashing the sysupgrade image it should upgrade the firmware on the existing partition but for me it just installs it on the alternate partition, which has now overwritten the original firmware. It still seems to keep most of the settings however, but I am not sure it is doing it properly as I lose WAN access and the 2.4GHz WiFi network won't start.

Just wondering if this is how its supposed to work or I am doing it wrong? I have tried both by LuCi and through SSH with the same result. Would it be better perhaps to boot to the alternate partition and reset it with the latest factory image then restore backed up settings?

You're doing it right, that's just the way it works on the new wrt devices, if you're on partition 1 it will flash to partition 2 and vice versa. There's a package called luci-app-advanced-reboot that allows you to easily switch between partitions, so if you want to save the original firmware you can just boot to it's partition and flash lede from there, that will keep the original firmware and write over the lede partition. If you flash from linksys stock no settings should be kept on lede, if you flash form lede there's a box you can just uncheck or keep checked depending on whether or not you want to keep settings.

Thanks for the reply Mike,
It just seems strange that it wouldnt just replace the firmware on the existing partition, just need to figure out why my WAN and WiFi arent working as before then...perhaps because it doesn't keep additional packages added after the installation. I will have a look at the upgraded installation then and see if I can figure out why as I am pretty sure it did keep settings as I checked some of them.

Hmm still not sure as to why and how to resolve connection issues after upgrade on alternate partition. Also can I ask does this look right?
55 am

It does, looks like you have an older (LEDE-branded) snapshot on partition 1 and a newer (OpenWrt-branded) snapshot on the currently active partition 2.

I personally do not have this router, but from what I've seen its support is quite mature, so I would have probably stayed on a stable release (currently 17.01.4) rather than the snapshot.

OK this is good to know thank you, just as I was curious as it changed from LEDE to OpenWRT, even tho I know that LEDE is a variant of it. I am not sure where I would get a stable release from however, as the OpenWRT site had several driver versions on there but the majority were marked as no longer maintained? DavidC's drivers were the only one I saw that was still actively maintained.

I am also wondering if the reason that my settings dont work so well after the sysupgrade is because of changes in the new version so may need to reset them and manually reenter them all, which is a bit of a pain.

Thank you for the help on this though too @stangri.

You can get the stable build here, opinions differ on whether or not to use saved settings, fwiw the only time i use saved settings is if i had to do a reset on my own build that had all my packages pre-installed, otherwise i just bite the bullet and do everything from scratch, which probably isn't necessary in a lot of cases, just personal preference.

I have the same question. I currently build my own image from master, for Linksys EA8500. It has two OS partitions. The latest build is broken and the router would just reboot back to the old build on second partition.
How do I make sure to flash my next build on the broken partition (1) instead of the current 2nd partition? I do want to install a working build on partition 1 so if I got a bad build again, I wouldn't need to use the serial to recover.

That is the default, both in OpenWrt and in OEM firmware. The flashing in sysupgrade is done to the other partition and the current one stays as the fallback.

1 Like