Firewall.user (custom rules) automatic reload - how?

Hey fellas

I have some custom iptables rules that are based on domain names, so I need to reload those custom rules to update the IPs in case they change.

I tried "/etc/init.d/firewall reload" and that won't reload the custom rules "firewall.user". Just everything else.

Only by running "/etc/init.d/firewall restart" do those rules get reloaded.

The problem is that with "restart" all active connections get dropped. Is there a way for me to reload firewall.user without dropping the connections? 99.99999% of the time the IPs are the same.

Thank you so much!

Have you consider using a dns based ipset? It does what you want and it is automatically updating the IPs.

3 Likes

since you have the domain names, use the adblock package ?

2 Likes

Hi trendy

Will that reload the custom rules?

no, will not. but instead of updating the rule manually with the domain's ip address, you can reference to an ipset as placeholder, and just add the ip addresses whenever you want to the ipset. firewall rule will check the ipset and match rule against all members of the set to compare against the active connection's ip address. and all this runtime, any time you can add/remove ip address to ipset, the next firewall match will happen against the latest ipset content.

2 Likes

Ok thanks. I'll look into it.

Still I'd love to know what the command is for reloading the custom firewall rules. Anyone?

i dont think you can reload just the custom rules, but maybe i'm wrong so let's wait someone to answer this. this is a good question.

1 Like
config include
        option path '/etc/firewall.user'
        option reload '1'

This will do what you want, but there is a side effect.
The rules will be added one more time each time the firewall service is reloaded without clearing the existing ones.
You might consider inserting iptables -F my_chain at the beginning of /etc/firewall.user

3 Likes

That's an interesting idea.

I'm using two chains, uh-oh. PREROUTING and POSTROUTING.

If I flush those two I'm afraid I might disturb the other rules outside of custom. Do you think that could happen?

I ran "iptables -t nat --list" and I don't see other rules in those two chains. Should be safe then?

Use the existing empty custom chains prerouting_rule and postrouting_rule.
That's what they're for.

root@ArcherA7:~# iptables -t nat -nvL PREROUTING | head -n 3
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 1801 packets, 465K bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
 1947  474K prerouting_rule  all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            /* !fw3: Custom prerouting rule chain */
root@ArcherA7:~# iptables -t nat -nvL POSTROUTING | head -n 3
Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 3 packets, 144 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
  454  112K postrouting_rule  all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0            /* !fw3: Custom postrouting rule chain */
2 Likes
iptables -F prerouting_rule
iptables -F postrouting_rule

I tried this and POSTROUTING / PREROUTING but I'm getting

iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.
iptables: No chain/target/match by that name.

If I list all my NAT rules I have this:

Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination
prerouting_rule  all  --  anywhere             anywhere             /* !fw3: Cus                                                                                                                                                             tom prerouting rule chain */
zone_lan_prerouting  all  --  anywhere             anywhere             /* !fw3                                                                                                                                                              */
zone_wan_prerouting  all  --  anywhere             anywhere             /* !fw3                                                                                                                                                              */
DNAT       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:63887 to:X.X.X.X:443

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
postrouting_rule  all  --  anywhere             anywhere             /* !fw3: Cu                                                                                                                                                             stom postrouting rule chain */
zone_lan_postrouting  all  --  anywhere             anywhere             /* !fw3                                                                                                                                                              */
zone_wan_postrouting  all  --  anywhere             anywhere             /* !fw3                                                                                                                                                              */
SNAT       tcp  --  anywhere             X.X.X.X  to: Y.Y.Y.Y

Chain postrouting_lan_rule (1 references)

Chain postrouting_rule (1 references)

Chain postrouting_wan_rule (1 references)

Chain prerouting_lan_rule (1 references)

Chain prerouting_rule (1 references)

Chain prerouting_wan_rule (1 references)

Chain zone_lan_postrouting (1 references)
postrouting_lan_rule  all  --  anywhere             anywhere             /* !fw3                                                                                                                                                             : Custom lan postrouting rule chain */
SNAT       tcp  --  192.168.81.0/24      UltraBird.lan        tcp dpt:21823 /* !                                                                                                                                                             fw3: UltrabirdTorrent (reflection) */ to:192.168.81.1
SNAT       udp  --  192.168.81.0/24      UltraBird.lan        udp dpt:21823 /* !                                                                                                                                                             fw3: UltrabirdTorrent (reflection) */ to:192.168.81.1

Chain zone_lan_prerouting (1 references)
prerouting_lan_rule  all  --  anywhere             anywhere             /* !fw3:                                                                                                                                                              Custom lan prerouting rule chain */
DNAT       tcp  --  192.168.81.0/24      192.168.2.11         tcp dpt:21823 /* !                                                                                                                                                             fw3: UltrabirdTorrent (reflection) */ to:192.168.81.199:21823
DNAT       udp  --  192.168.81.0/24      192.168.2.11         udp dpt:21823 /* !                                                                                                                                                             fw3: UltrabirdTorrent (reflection) */ to:192.168.81.199:21823

Chain zone_wan_postrouting (1 references)
postrouting_wan_rule  all  --  anywhere             anywhere             /* !fw3                                                                                                                                                             : Custom wan postrouting rule chain */
MASQUERADE  all  --  anywhere             anywhere             /* !fw3 */

Chain zone_wan_prerouting (1 references)
prerouting_wan_rule  all  --  anywhere             anywhere             /* !fw3:                                                                                                                                                              Custom wan prerouting rule chain */
DNAT       tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             tcp dpt:21823 /* !                                                                                                                                                             fw3: UltrabirdTorrent */ to:192.168.81.199:21823
DNAT       udp  --  anywhere             anywhere             udp dpt:21823 /* !                                                                                                                                                             fw3: UltrabirdTorrent */ to:192.168.81.199:21823

Any idea of what's wrong? Thanks for your time by the way. What a champ!

Woops

I got it to not produce errors with

iptables -t nat -F prerouting_rule
iptables -t nat -F postrouting_rule

But I still get duplicates upon reload.

I'll try zone_wan_prerouting + postrouting.

The rules should be moved from the PREROUTING and POSTROUTING chains to the custom chains.

Example:

iptables -t nat -A prerouting_rule -m udp -p udp -s 192.168.1.0/24 --dport 53 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.1.96:53
iptables -t nat -A postrouting_rule -m udp -p udp -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 192.168.1.96/32 --dport 53 -j SNAT --to-source 192.168.1.1
iptables -t nat -nvL prerouting_rule; iptables -t nat -nvL postrouting_rule
2 Likes

Ahh, I see. Fixed!

iptables -t nat -A prerouting_rule -p tcp -m tcp --dport 63887 -j DNAT --to-destination `dig x.com +short`:443
iptables -t nat -A postrouting_rule -p tcp -d `dig x.com +short`/32 -j SNAT --to-source `dig y.com +short`
iptables -A FORWARD -s `dig x.com +short`/32 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -d `dig x.com +short`/32 -j ACCEPT

I'm having issues with the two FORWARD and ACCEPT commands. They seem to need editing as well. (They worked when I was using the previous chains.)

iptables -F forwarding_rule
iptables - A forwarding_rule -s ...
iptables - A forwarding_rule -d ...
iptables -nvL forwarding_rule

EDIT:

This will not work as intended if dig returns multiple IP addresses.
Better use ipset as @trendy already suggested

2 Likes

I'm only getting one address.

Seems I need to create forwardning_rule. The other two existed from the start.

This is where I am right now, and I get an error probably at trying to add into the chain forwarding_rule. I can't see it in the list.

iptables -t nat -F forwarding_rule
iptables -t nat -A prerouting_rule -p tcp -m tcp --dport 63887 -j DNAT --to-destination `dig x.com +short`:443
iptables -t nat -A postrouting_rule -p tcp -d `dig x.com +short`/32 -j SNAT --to-source `dig y.com +short`
iptables -A forwarding_rule -s `dig x.com +short`/32 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A forwarding_rule -d `dig x.com +short`/32 -j ACCEPT
iptables -t nat -nvL forwarding_rule
iptables -t nat -nvL prerouting_rule
iptables -t nat -nvL postrouting_rule

I need to study up on ipset. It's on my todo list. Phew.

I sincerely appreciate your patience with me.

1 Like

The correct is

1 Like
iptables -F forwarding_rule
iptables -A forwarding_rule -s `dig x.com +short`/32 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A forwarding_rule -d `dig x.com +short`/32 -j ACCEPT
iptables -nvL forwarding_rule
iptables -t nat -nvL prerouting_rule
iptables -t nat -nvL postrouting_rule

I'm here now and it won't route the packets the same way as:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --dport 63887 -j DNAT --to-destination `dig x.com +short`:443
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -p tcp -d `dig x.com +short`/32 -j SNAT --to-source `dig y.com +short`
iptables -A FORWARD -s `dig x.com +short`/32 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -d `dig x.com +short`/32 -j ACCEPT

The essential difference between the two variations is that in the first variant the rules are inserted at the beginning of the FORWARD, PREROUTING and POSTROUTING chains, while in the second variant they are added at their end.

A complete review of the firewall is required to discover the reasons for the different behavior, but at first glance, under normal circumstances the rules below shouldn't do any work, because they will be added after the last rule in the FORWARD chain, which rejects everything.

EDIT:

Just to clarify that these commands are used to verify that the rules are created and there are hits. They don't need to be added to /etc/firewall.user.

1 Like