Firewall logging/debugging

maybe not needed. I found this is the syslog
Tue Jul 20 14:27:31 2021 daemon.info dnsmasq[5583]: DNS service limited to local subnets
Could it be that 192.168.1.1/24 interface is not considered a local subnet because it has it's own firewall zone and device type eth0?

what was the exact tcpdump command you ran?
(you should really follow trendy and vgaetera's advice...)

if you get to the root of this... you'll likely resolve your issue...

1 Like

Disable Local Service Only in DNS configuration and try again.

1 Like

yeah no :frowning: did not help

Rather than wasting everyone's very valuable time I have decided I am going in head first.

Going to see how much I can get logged out of Linux (as I do no longer believe this has anything to do with OpenWrt but more with the way Linux works) i.e.going bezerker mode as resources really are not an issue.

I did not run any any tcpdump at that particular moment because I was assessing wehter it was client related or not. That got ruled out

Please trust that I really am and will never ignore good/well intentioned advice.
It's more that I am becoming less of a noob day by day and that means that sometimes I think I already a step or two in front of the situation that was responded to.

I will admit that might not always be the most wise to do.

Anyway I will keep you guys updated. It time for some serious logging with some real resources

was in response to

could have been that I forgot a restart of the dnsmasq service

Please understand that my response is in no way out of disrespect. But it is;
The only known state is, how ever clean and fresh the system is, that I am not able to get the linux iptables to behave. How ever small steps I take.

I am also no longer suggesting any it could be (L)uci. Sure using those excellent tools can get a config quite mangled when wielded by people, without a good understanding of the subject at hand, like my self. I am sure most experts are so structured many of them do not even are aware of an config mangling that can occur as (L)uci is like a the methalogic Sirenes :wink:

New sailors tend to strand at rocks to their deaths while seasoned captains/pirates know how to steer clear.