Extroot on x86 arch

Is there any way to use extroot on x86 images(squashfs) ?
Eror: cannot found fstab entry
Ps: is this very common eror?

1 Like

Its not mounting on boot

Fri Feb  3 20:37:47 2023 user.info kernel: [    5.742875] block: attempting to load /etc/config/fstab
Fri Feb  3 20:37:47 2023 user.err kernel: [    5.743510] block: unable to load configuration (fstab: Entry not found)
Fri Feb  3 20:37:47 2023 user.err kernel: [    5.744218] block: no usable configuration

What does block info return?

There shouldn't be any need for extroot on x86_64, just grow the overlay.

2 Likes

If you're booting from SSD or other nand devices EXTROOT into a F2FS partition will give superior performance over EXT4 on nand devices. The only caveat is give lots of provisioning when laying out the F2FS partition. It defaults to 5% but I have read comments that this can cause hangups when the drive reaches full capacity. Increasing this to let's say 20% or even 30% should avoid that.

Extroot part is there, but not mounted

How to resize it? I tried with parted but this dont work

EXTROOT is not the same as increasing the filesystem to use the entire disk space. I think you are looking at the latter. The latter process is a 2-step process i.e.: increase the partition size and update grub to recognize the new layout then resize the openwrt filesystem to fit the new partition size. You should follow the guide below to increase the partition size and then the filesystem layout. It's a bit complicated because you need to boot with a linux distro and setup loop devices.

On the other hand EXTROOT is an alternative to the below procedure and which creates a 3rd partition that utilizes all the remaining space after /BOOT and /ROM and can be implemented on the fly.

In other hand we have resize2fs. 1st step is resize /dev/sda2. 2nd step is resize /dev/loop0. And this is work good. But i dont know how stable its

I don't know what it takes to change from ext4 to F2FS if at all possible without destroying the data. If you're playing with a fresh install I guess there's not loss in trying.

It always fresh. Because it on vm. I dont have real hardware for this now

for your question about stability...I use F2FS on all MMC or memory storage devices. So far so good and not had any issues so far but then my needs are small i.e. I am not running any huge databases on my systems. But I have heard that F2FS has issues when capacity nears full so I always give it lots of provisioning. Default is 5% but I always give it 30%. I would not use F2FS on spinning platters though and always use EXT4.

Vm is on ssd but for real usage i will use 2 hdds one very old 80gb for system and 1 terabyte for smb/nfs + docker.
And i have question about docker. Can i use docker compose(x11) in openwrt?

not an expert on docker. sorry.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.