Extroot - just a question

Now , normally when flashing an upgrade the add-on services reset - I am just curious - when Extroot is properly working properly do all the extra downloaded things survive an upgrade?

The sysupgrade will replace the rom NOT the /overlay partition on your extroot, you will have to upgrade your exroot and also re-configure the extroot, to upgrade your extroot you will have to run something like:

mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2
tar -C /overlay -cvf - . | tar -C /mnt/sda2 -xf -

that will replace all existing extroot files, you could clean up them using rm -r , previously use dmesg and/or logread to see in which device is your extroot, and install proper USB kmods and block support, ext4, fsck, etc:

opkg install kmod-usb-storage block-mount kmod-fs-ext4 e2fsprogs

you should backup the /etc files on extroot and other custom files that you could need and put it back together later.

and to configure fstab in order to boot again to extroot:

block detect > /etc/config/fstab
uci -q delete `uci show fstab | grep 0000-0000 | cut -c -15` # fstab.@mount[0].uuid='0000-0000'
uci set fstab.@mount[0].target='/overlay'
uci set fstab.@mount[0].enabled='1'
uci commit fstab
reboot

I usually run those, but you can add target /overlay and enabled=1 to /etc/config/fstab manually if you are not friend of uci

Then after reboot you should be running back to extroot fine.
I do not know another way to "extract" files from a .bin but even doing that some config files are modified during first boot. That is because I think this is a more appropiate method.

1 Like

With your permission, I will ask here.
How to remove extroot correctly? I think there's something more I have to do, not just plug-out USB flash...

I'd suggest a new thread, along the lines of "Reverting extroot config to normal overlay config" as this is a different question. I'd be happy to respond there.

Please see my previous comment, following that, if you just remove the entry from

/etc/config/fstab

that have option

target='/overlay'

and you will successfully remove the extroot configuration...
you can also turn the option

enable='0'

and it should disable the boot to extroot.
You could also remove the installed packages too, but those are useful to mount flashdrives with ext4, if you still want to do it.