Extroot and files

yes, that seems to be true here. thanks for pointing that out. darn!

just reset to defaults... that should get you there.

firstboot -y && reboot

Then, once it's back from resetting, install just the minimum required for extroot as I described above... once you've done that, you should be able to pivot to extroot and install any other packages you need on the extroot partition.

I don't think that works if the jffs has mounted read only or it has reverted to RAM disk.

Hmm... good point. Worth trying, though.

If that doesn't work, would the CLI flash work?

@psherman thanks a lot. then can i ask; would simply installing the files for exroot and luci put me over the max? i need these two to configure for exroot in luci. what are you thoughts?

LuCI should be pre-installed on your image. The bare minimum extroot packages I described should fit. If you don't currently have your USB stick formatted for ext4, you should do that using a linux computer.

i will do the sysypgrade. does that allow for selecting firewall4? and can someone please say if it's ok to have what looks like two versions of the same files, in the image further above.

Download the latest release (22.03.2) sysupgrade. If LuCI is working use the Flash Firmware page, make sure to check "do not save settings." If LuCI is not working, transfer the file to /tmp on the router (either scp from the PC, or wget directly from the Internet to the router) and run sysupgrade -n /tmp/filename

https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/22.03.2/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-22.03.2-ath79-generic-tplink_tl-wdr4300-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

not on this router. for reasons i do not understand.

I'm not sure there is a proper way to configure extroot using LuCI. I have always done it via the CLI. It is well documented.

You said LuCI was installed and then disappeared when you installed additional packages, right? This is probably because of a space issue and things getting messed up.

LuCI is included on all stable release builds (you're running 22.03.2 stable, official), so it should be in the image already.

1 Like

it is possible to select what I want in the sysupgrade, as I did when building the firmware for this router?

wait, what? Did you mention this before? What did you pre-install in that image??

my advice: Just download the standard official stable release build.

I was not able to use it until i installed it. after fresh flash, i went to 192.168.1.1. and i could not get through and the support page wiki for this router says must install luci after flash.

I do not want the latest firewall, so I used the old one. that's the only thing I did.

There's no real need for a custom build here. The release build should have enough free space to set up extroot. Then you can install whatever you want in the external drive.

this is the 'custom' that was done:

-firewall4 firewall -nftables iptables-legacy ip6tables-legacy -kmod-nft-offload kmod-ipt-offload

As @mk24 said, there is no need for a custom image. Just use the standard one. You can 'remove' the packages after you've pivoted to extroot, and install whatever new packages you want after that.

Just a note about removing packages... obviously removing them in a custom image is useful in some situations since it obviously saves space. It is useful to understand that removing pre-installed packages from a running configuration doesn't actually free up space (counter intuitively, it actually uses space to 'mark' the files that are stored in ROM as deleted). But, in your case, it is not necessary to remove any packages from the standard image since you don't need to free up any space for the initial pivot to extroot (and once you are on extroot, you'll have plenty of space to spare for installing/removing pacakges).

I prefer:

-firewall4 firewall -nftables iptables-legacy ip6tables-legacy -kmod-nft-offload kmod-ipt-offload

this is the issue.

@psherman @mk24 and the 'standard' one does not come with: