Extra wireless options removed in new Wiki - are they still supported?

Hi all. If you read old OpenWRT Wiki, then you can find description of some extra options, which can help to fine tune wireless card. For example, 802.11ac capabilities short_gi_80, short_gi_160 or capabilities such as ff, compress and so on. There are no single word about these options in new Wifi. So my question is if these are deprecated options, or just hidden from regular users? How to know if, for example, compress or ff still has effect?

Look at the scripts in /var/lib/netifd/ especially hostapd.sh and wireless/mac80211.sh

Those, along with the sample config file for hostapd and wpa_supplicant should get you close. There are some OpenWRT extensions/changes, which would be the patches in package/network/services/hostapd/patches/ in the OpenWRT source tree.

2 Likes

Thanks! I'll look into it.

EDIT: Ok, I can find there most of the standard options, which are in the new Wifi, but nothing can be found regarding option mentioned before. I think they are more dependent on the driver itself. At least old wiki mentions that, for example, compress or ff is only applicable for atheros devices.
So, now I do not really understand why all the special options were removed from new wiki and what specific options can be supported by one or another hw.

@bobafetthotmail What is the equivalent page for https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/wireless#ht_high_throughput_capabilities where the options in question are described?

I found those options listed and used in wifi driver, but for some reason they are not part of new wiki. So I can check in driver code what is really supported by my wifi card, but all explanations are only in old wiki for some reason.

EDIT: I think I have found answer myself. It is already stated in old wiki:

ht_capab list (none) (none) :!: This option is ignored since r40682 (Barrier Breaker)
List of capabilities to enable on device, in the format [], eg [TX-STBC] (prior to Barrier Breaker, all capabilities were disabled when not listed)

Meaning that ht_capab option is deprecated. Then I have checked /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf and found line:

vht_capab=[RXLDPC][SHORT-GI-80][SU-BEAMFORMER][SU-BEAMFORMEE][RX-ANTENNA-PATTERN][TX-ANTENNA-PATTERN][RX-STBC-1][MAX-A-MPDU-LEN-EXP7]

And this line comes actually from the driver, not from UCI. So, I suppose most of these special things are handled by the driver.