Extend 5ghz with cabled connection to 1900ACS

Hello folks,
I need to boost my 5ghz wifi. I got a CAT6 cable available in the room I want to setup my "extender/AP", so that device can talk directly (via a switch) with my linksys wrt1900acs.

What device should I pick? Can I do a mesh network for instance, with another 1900acs? Or can I downgrade to a cheaper model (if any)..

This is for my home, so apple tv, iphone's, PC's.. not heavy use.

Thanks!

A day with duckduckgoing has gone by, and I'm not any closer to finding a good solution.
I really enjoy openwrt and want to have a router with advanced settings, not a semi-smart device from Linksys like velop, tp deco etc etc...

Since I could like both cabled network in my office, and wifi (for the rest of this floor) I'm looking into wifi extenders for instance the pricy and bulky Netgear Nighthawk X6S EX8000 or something smaller.
But it has to be smart enough to cope with my linksys wrt1900acs that also will have wifi turned on.

If not this solution, then maybe ubiquiti? So many choices

Since you have a wired connection, I think you want an AP, not an extender (which to my understanding, connect wireless). This guide should help:
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/wifi/dumbap

Hi Gnufsh,
I think that really depends on the device. For instance a few mesh systems doesn't have ethernet backhaul, and tp deco m5 for instance does have ethernet backhaul.
The expensive nighthawk x62 ex8000 is an extender but still has ethernet backhaul..
Since there will be a small overlap with the wifi from my router and the new ap/extender, I don't think I can use the dumbap solution..

A lot of people are confused by this because of the marketing of consumer "mesh systems." A mesh is a form of wireless backhaul. If you have wiring for your backhaul you don't need to have a wireless mesh.

The confusion occurs as the mesh systems in a box also claim they have features to optimize client roaming between the APs. This is a separate topic from backhaul methods.

It is common practice to run multiple APs in the same building on the same network within radio range of each other. They are designed to work that way. Ideally they are set to different radio frequencies so their signals completely won't interfere with each other, though it will also work (with expected lower bandwidth) if they are on the same channel.

1 Like

I agree with that.
So I guess roaming is the real dealbreaker in these cases.
I know that Cisco and ubiquity has roaming figured out and do that nicely, and to my surpise the nighthawk too (?) With a hint of hope writing that last sentence..
Or are you saying that any dumb AP will do the trick and not cause any trouble?

On the contrary, there is no deal-breaker at all. If you can connect your "extender" via ethernet, you can use just about any well-supported device (e.g. ipq40xx based) with good wireless as dumb AP - it's one of the most simple setups possible.

Sorry, but how does the roaming issue go away with this solution?
On the other side- that is just what I need!
And instead of an extender I will buy a router- any suggestions? I will look at second hand devices :blush: