ExpressVPN Router Linksys WRT3200ACM

Just bought a Linksys WRT3200ACM on Ebay and when booted I see screens for ExpressVPN Router. Even as a noob, I assume this is custom firmware that was sold preinstalled on this router by this ExpressVPN company? The system status page shows OpenWRT Chaos Calmer 15.05.1 r49389/LuCl for-15.05 branch (git-16.206.66468-6f5c486), whatever all that means.

In any event, I'd like to update it to the latest 18.06 release and use it with my own VPN provider (Private Internet Access). I'm also looking forward to trying WIreguard as soon as PIA supports it, and other stuff like VLAN and Policy Based Routing. So finally the question: Can I just download the correct v18.06.4 image for this router and flash it from within the existing ExpressVPN Router firmware? It has a utility for this on System tab. Or, do I need to do something more geeky and do some sort of factory reset and wipe out the existing OpenWRT firmware? Thanks....

Given it is a OpenWrt derivative... maybe
Since you have two partitions, and can get back to the current one with the power switch, things are usually easy.
Try a flash without keeping settings, might need to use Force.
If not, you may have to get geeky with it.
... and you might want to try the power switch to the other partition before
doing anything else, just to see.

1 Like

Thanks anomeome! I tried the alternate power switch boot and it booted fine into the Linksys OEM partition. Then I went back to the other partition, disabled the keep settings checkbox, and loaded the upgrade image file then clicked flash. Very fast update and it loaded perfectly. Now I need to go back and find the tutorials on basic setups before I get ahead of myself. But I'm off and running and I thank you for the advice!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.