Everytime i upgrade packages i lose storage

HI
i'm using TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1

OpenWrt 19.07.3 r11063-85e04e9f46 / LuCI openwrt-19.07 branch git-20.136.49537-fb2f363

Kernel Version 4.14.180

So in the software section i have a lot of packages to upgrade, and i have around 3MB free storage, but once i start upgrading the packages one by one i start losing my free storage to 10KB. is there a way to upgrade the packages without losing my free space.

thanks

8 Likes

Upgrading packages (via the CLI opkg upgrade command or the LuCI Upgrade... button) can result in major problems. It is generally highly discouraged, unless you know what you are doing or if there is specific instruction to do so.

In addition, the opkg upgrade process will consume flash storage space. Since it does not (and cannot) overwrite the original (stored in ROM), it must store the upgraded packages in the r/w overlay.

7 Likes

so what is i am supposed to do, how do i upgrade the packages that i have

i went throw it , and tried to apply it but its a bit complicated, isnt there any other way

1 Like

You might first sysupgrade to the current release 19.07.4. That would already update also many built-in packages.

6 Likes

Hi, my workaround for this router is make my own image with all packages I need. Upgrade to 19.07.4 first, maybe is all you need.

1 Like

hi @hnyman
i upgraded using the sysupgrade, i have
OpenWrt 19.07.4 r11208-ce6496d796 / LuCI openwrt-19.07 branch git-20.247.75781-0d0ab01
but luci is still not upgraded.

hi
but doesnt that mean that you are going to repeat the same process every six months or everytime you have alot of updates to do ?

Yes, that is correct. Otherwise just use the official firmware and a script to reinstall the missing packages.

I just build a image with the Image builder with every package I need when a new official release is out

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/additional-software/imagebuilder