Ethtool part of base installation

To get the internet connection working on my RB760iGS (hEX S), I need ethtool to manually configure the SFP: disable autoneg and set the speed to 1000.

After I upgraded to 23.05.0 (r23497-6637af95aa), ethtool was no longer installed. So I had to download it separately and then install it manually.

Would it be possible to have ethtool (either the full or the minimal version) included in the base installation and sysupgrade packages, so that after an upgrade I can immediately connect my router to the internet?

Thanks!

Use https://firmware-selector.openwrt.org/, add ethtool to the package list.

5 Likes

Or use LuCI Attended Sysupgrade for your upgrades, which keeps the "extra" packages you installed... Look in Software for the luci-app-attendedsysupgrade package. (Or if you like CLI, opkg install auc for the equivalent command line utility, auc.)

doesn't AUC DL the additional packages post upgrade ?
that's kind of a catch 22, in OPs case.

1 Like

No.

auc requests the server prepare a new image ROM including the packages. The image is downloaded and flashed as a block. The user's config files are pre-loaded into the overlay filesystem as usual. The only thing in the overlay after an auc upgrade completes will be config files.

Since the package application binaries are moved to be squashed into the ROM using highly efficient compression, a savings of flash space results. This is useful on small flash devices even if not upgrading.

2 Likes

The firmware selector would work.

I've seen with optical connections, unlike copper, that autonegotiate often doesn't work. Therefore I think making ethtool (or at least something that can setup the fiber connection) part of the basic package would be useful, it is core functionality for an internet router.

A single rate SFP optic should be recognized and the port will automatically run at its single rate. Changeable rate SFPs like you must have are not common.

or there's something wrong with how we configure the SFP slot on that device. Looking at the DTS it seems it is connected via some phy connected to the internal mdio bus. Is this really correct?

I got a feeling that this whole ethtool requiement simply is because the DTS should have defined a fixed-link connection between mac and SFP slot instead.

That could be the case, see the output of "ethtool sfp" below (default, before forcing full duplex and 1000Mbps). It reports "Port: Twisted Pair". The output is identical with and without SFP inserted. I don't think it's a changeable rate SFP I'm using, it's a bidirectional 1Gbps single mode SFP.

I wasn't aware this feature exists, but AUC works really nice!

root@router:~# ethtool sfp
Settings for sfp:
        Supported ports: [ TP    MII ]
        Supported link modes:   100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
                                1000baseX/Full
        Supported pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Supported FEC modes: Not reported
        Advertised link modes:  100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
                                1000baseX/Full