/etc/locattime link points to non existing file

/etc/localtime is linked to /tmp/localtime but this file does not exist.
It's not created/filled nowhere during boot.
Also in 17.01.

OpenWRT sets the timezone from /etc/config/system at boot time or on reload_config or the like.

It does not populate /etc/localtime as /usr/share/zoneinfo/ is not populated on most devices.

See /etc/init.d/system for more details

That's right.
OpenWrt fills /etc/TZ linked to /tmp/TZ but a link to "nowhere"?
On my XUbuntu /etc/TZ does not exist and /etc/localtime shows after some binary data the same string as /etc/TZ inside OpenWrt "CET-1CEST,M3.5.0,M10.5.0/3" for Europe/Berlin.

It's OpenWRT, it's not a "desktop" or "server" distro.

It will drive you crazy with the inconsistencies. Enough that I don't use it for anything but a dumb AP.

I filed a ticket some time ago about the fact that /etc/ethers in OpenWRT required a single space between the MAC and the label. The initial response was that, effectively, "works for me, and I like forcing a single space" (even if that is inconsistent with man ethers on any decent system).

Just wait until you try to add users and groups...

And your XUbuntu uses a library like uClibc or musl as the underlying C function library for all binaries?

Working with uClibc, musl and busybox etc. requires some deviation from the full desktop distro behaviours.

You might familiarize yourself with the uClibc and musl internals...
Openwrt behaviour with musl was kept in line with the old uClibc approach.

See e.g. proposal in 2014: https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/openwrt-devel/2014-November/029296.html
bug report in 2015: https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/19901
leading into commit in 2015: https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commitdiff;h=7b4d039e00b0e29f416c21a022ce2a6db23a4c30;hp=23633249c80c8ae886569058349e345d3a905bbc

But I haven't looked into reasons why there is an empty symlink for /etc/localtime. Likely it has some compatiblity history.

EDIT:
Ok, this is the history. support for using the zoneinfo package:

1 Like

How you use OpenWrt is besides the point of this thread. If you're upset and want to improve things, provide constructive feedback. If you're annoyed by OpenWrt and do not feel like investing time in it, then fine as well, but stop doing snarky or derogatory remarks everywhere. This is annoying, demotivating and detracting when attempting to provide concise and correct responses.

No, you posted a ticket about LuCI (not OpenWrt) failing to pick up valid records which are otherwise accepted by the libc ether routines.

Which was a response by a non-maintainer of LuCI. Also /etc/ethers was properly processed by OpenWrt (or rather its musl libc at all times) - it was merely a cosmetical LuCI bug in the sense that ether info was not properly factored into host hint information.

I also fixed that issue within two days of you reporting it, without any discussion or negligence of the problem, so stop blowing this out of proportion.

Which was not the topic of this thread either.