ESPHome connection on OpenWrt Accesspoint

Hello,

I have a network with 3 OpenWrt Access points and I also have a couple of smart switches running ESPHome on esp8285 cpu.
Now the issue is that a lot of times when I try to OTA update my ESPHome switches the connection times out. personally I think it's an issue with ESPHome.
But on the HA forum they say it's a common issue specifically with the combination ESPHome and OpenWrt so replace OpenWrt.
But I don't want to, I want to know why this fails and have it fixed.

So I thought, let's try here if someone experiences the same issue and it there is anything I can do to make this work more stable.

with kind regards,

Bart

Post your 2.4 (I assume) wifi config.

it's indeed 2.4
those devices do not support 5
my full wifi config is like this

config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option path 'pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0'
        option band '5g'
        option htmode 'VHT80'
        option cell_density '0'
        option channel '36'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio0'
        option device 'radio0'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option ssid '<ssid>'
        option encryption 'sae-mixed'
        option key '<pwd>'
        option ieee80211r '1'
        option ft_over_ds '0'
        option ft_psk_generate_local '1'

config wifi-device 'radio1'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option path 'platform/ahb/18100000.wmac'
        option channel '10'
        option band '2g'
        option htmode 'HT20'
        option cell_density '0'

config wifi-iface 'default_radio1'
        option device 'radio1'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option ssid '<ssid>'
        option encryption 'sae-mixed'
        option key '<pwd>'
        option ieee80211r '1'
        option ft_over_ds '0'
        option ft_psk_generate_local '1'
        option ieee80211w '0'

on all 3 accesspoints
I tried some options like ldpc and disable disconnect on low ack.
but nothing seems to work.

one new remark,
I also have this issue with Tasmota,
didn't really notice this before as I migrated most of my tasmota devices prior to migrating to OpenWRT.

Also I tried disabling WMM and Short Preamble but neither seems to make any difference.
I think there is some setting in OpenWrt esp devices can't handle, but can't figure which one it is.

anyone any suggestion?
for now I tried replacing ath10k-firmware-qca9888-ct with ath10k-firmware-qca9888-ct-full-htt
and that seems to make is a little better, but still not as good as it should be.

Change the encryption to wpa2 psk. I suspect that the esp32 does not line sae-mixed.

1 Like

I had the same problems and tried about every possible advice I could find. It only happened with ath10k APs, never had a problem with mt76 APs.
Since OpenWrt 22.03, the situation has improved significantly and I do not experience these problems anymore (though the VAP has WMM disabled and is forced to g mode).

1 Like

Thank you both for your reply,
I already tried and now treid again both solutions.
WPA2 and disabling WMM but this doesn't make any difference.
Before 22.03 there was no OpenWrt Support for my AP so I can't compare.
but for future notice, probably over 5 years I won't by an ath10k AP.