Error trying to install dyndns from luci [SOLVED]

I think I have followed the instructions as per the OpenWRT docs, but I am getting an error trying to enable dyndns.

My provider is namecheap and that is the OpenWRT supplied script I use (via luci interface). I have replaced the real ip's with xx's and the real name of my site with mysite. The ip is the ip I am currently on wan side.

The log error I am getting on starting the script is

134534 : Detect registered/public IP
134534 : #> /usr/bin/khost -t A mysite.com >/var/run/ddns/mysite_dyndns.dat 2>/var/run/ddns/mysite_dyndns.err
134534 : Registered IP '127.0.0.1' detected
134534 info : Starting main loop at 2019-08-30 13:45
134534 : Detect local IP on 'network
134534 : Local IP '100.72.xxx.xxx' detected on network 'wan'
134534 : Update needed - L: '100.72.xxx.xxx' <> R: '127.0.0.1'
134534 ERROR : No or private or invalid IP '100.72.xxx.xxx' given! Please check your configuration
134534 ERROR : No update send to DDNS Provider

What does this error message points to?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

134534 ERROR : No or private or invalid IP '100.72.xxx.xxx' given! Please check your configuration

You most likely don't get a public IP from your ISP, these addresses usually indicates CG-NAT https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

2 Likes

Thanks dizzy,

You have hit the nail on the head. My ISP, I found out, is unfortunately deploying CGNAT.

I have requested them to opt me out of this but I am not sure of they will, yet.

I may have to look around for another ISP which is a pity as they are possibly the fastest around here with no downgrade in speed at peak times. But hey, they are selling me the full monty! :slight_smile:

Thanks again

If you're lucky, you might at least have a global IPv6 address (DS-lite).

1 Like

At my request my ISP, promptly, did delete me from their CGNAT program.

Thus the issue is totally resolved, I think.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.