Error: Network device is not present - Plusnet Hub One

Hi All
I managed to flash yesterday a new Plusnet Hub One following instructions from various resources on the web including openwrt.org. Then I upgraded to the latest stable release available of OpenWRT, i.e. version 19.07.7 dated
2021-02-17.
However, when it came to what some would qualify as a trivial step I got stuck! I followed the "OpenWrt-LEDE Installation Guide for HH5A.pdf" and tried many configuration combinations without success. LuCI shows the error above under Network>Interfaces WAN. So I get no IP address and my Line State is: DOWN [0x0] whaterver that means :frowning:
A copy of my /etc/config/network is shown below.
I am currently on xDSL broadband 14mbps max, but would like to use this modem/router with the flexibility OpenWRT offers if possible, instead of the limited Hub Zero and OEM original firmware.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

config interface 'loopback'
        option ifname 'lo'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
        option ula_prefix 'fd37:31b9:1bc6::/48'

config dsl 'dsl'
        option ds_snr_offset '0'
        option tone 'a'
        option annex 'b'
        option xfer_mode 'ptm'
        option line_mode 'vdsl'

config interface 'lan'
        option type 'bridge'
        option ifname 'eth0.1'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'
        option netmask '255.255.255.0'
        option ip6assign '60'

config device 'lan_eth0_1_dev'
        option name 'eth0.1'
        option macaddr '***HIDDEN***'

config interface 'wan'
        option proto 'pppoe'
        option password '***HIDDEN***'
        option service 'plus.net'
        option ipv6 'auto'
        option username '***HIDDEN***@plusdsl.net'
        option ifname 'dsl0.101'

config device 'wan_dsl0_dev'
        option name 'dsl0'
        option macaddr '***HIDDEN***'

config interface 'wan6'
        option proto 'dhcpv6'
        option ifname '@wan6'
        option reqaddress 'try'
        option reqprefix 'auto'

config switch
        option name 'switch0'
        option reset '1'
        option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
        option device 'switch0'
        option vlan '1'
        option ports '0 1 2 4 6t'

config switch_vlan
        option device 'switch0'
        option vlan '2'
        option ports '5 6t'

I am currently on xDSL broadband 14mbps max

Do you have ADSL or VDSL, because the settings you are using are for FTTC VDSL fibre broadband?

If you have upto 17mb ADSL service (ie. 'Unlimited Broadband' from Plusnet), see section 9.4 of the guide for ADSL PPPoA setup for use on Plusnet.

The Hub was working perfectly before flashing. I tested it; it connected out of the box after just inserting my line credentials. It provided a good wifi boost for everyone at home. I explored its native features for an hour or so before I start dismantling it.

Please re-read my earlier post, as I deleted original comments after realising you 'may' have ADSL broadband, and you have used VDSL settings....

Honestly, I do not know. But I know that the Hub is shipped with fibre configuration by default and it did work although I have ony xDSL broadband service. So I am tempted to think that the fibre configuration is ok to use on xDSL too.

Nonetheless, I'll change the configuration as you suggested and let you know.
Thank you.

Log into your Plusnet account on their website and it should tell you on the dashboard what service you take from Plusnet. eg. 'Unlimited Broadband', 'Unlimited Fibre' etc.

Example for upto 40mb FTTC fibre broadband service:
0plusnet

hmm, if Plusnet supplied you with a Hub One, then one would assume you are on fibre service....unless they are no longer shipping the Hub Zero and all new customers get Hub One....

(xDSL is just a collective name which includes ADSL, SDSL, VDSL etc btw)

14 Mbps would generally mean that your line is ADSL. VDSL is faster than that.

OK, thanks. My Plustnet account indicates "Always-on Broadband xDSL". But I can confirm I am not on a fibre contract as unfortunately it did not make it yet to my location. Plusnet sent me a Hub Zero and I recently bought a new Hub One from ebay.
Update: the Hub One is now connected. Thank you for your support.
I can now move on to the next steps: set a printer server, fileshare server, limit connection time on certain devices...

The first thing to do once connected to an ADSL service is to set up SQM.

Thanks for the tip. Any further suggestions? I am enthousiastic but quite novice :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.