Error message in log regularly

Getting lots of:

Failed to send DHCPV6 message to ff02::1:2 (Permission denied)

in the system log - should I expect this?

FWIW my ISP doesn't currently support IPV6.

TIA
Dave

I would like to bump this thread. I too get those syslog messages, about once every two minutes:

daemon.err odhcp6c[1513]: Failed to send DHCPV6 message to ff02::1:2 (Permission denied)

This is on a TP-Link W9980, and I didn't touch IPv6 configurations anywhere. Router runs fine.

What I noticed is that I don't get those messages consistently, after a wan reconnect they seem to stop. Router works fine through all of this. I'm not versed at all in the inner workings of IPv6 and its inner workings in OpenWrt/LEDE. Is there something I should reconfigure?

I might try turning off IPv6 where it isn't being used.

https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=60799 has some instructions on disabling bits of IPv6

But what exactly is DHCPv6 doing there, and failing? ff02::1:2 should be a broadcast to all DHCP servers in the local network. And why does the error go away once WAN is reconnected?

odhcp6c is the DHCPv6 client daemon. It is likely trying to get dhcpv6 address for WAN from ISP dhcpv6 server. (for WAN interface, the outside network is the link-local context. And that fails as long as the WAN interface has no connectivity.

Because sending the DHCP query packet succeeds? (although ISP does not provide IPV6, sending the packet works)

Easiest solution to quiet that message might be to remove the wan6 interface (that is part of the default network setup). wan6 has dhcpv6 as the address protocol, so that your WAN port can get an IPv6 address from the ISP's DHCPv6 server (if there is such). Or at least remove the dhcpv6 setting from that interface, if your ISP does not provide IPv6.

[quote="hnyman, post:5, topic:4163"]
odhcp6c is the DHCPv6 client daemon. It is likely trying to get dhcpv6 address for WAN from ISP dhcpv6 server. (for WAN interface, the outside network is the link-local context.[/quote]

Thanks, that makes sense. Again, sorry for my utter incompetence in all things IPv6.

But WAN has connectivity.

Interesting. Knowing my ISP doesn't provide IPv6, I already did that quite a while ago. I was inclined to see that as the cause of the error, not the remedy.

It only happens after startup, even when WAN is successfully connected. After another WAN connect ("ifup wan") the error messages stop.

Edit: I should try re-adding the WAN6 interface. It almost looks to be some race condition after startup when odhcp6c doesn't realize yet that it doesn't have IPv6 on the WAN side, and the missing WAN6 interface causes it to belch.

And there is both stateful DHCPv6 and the stateless Router Advertisement (SLAAC). If you have already removed the wan6 with dhcpv6, then I guess that odhcp6c is still trying to get an address via router advertisement.

(I have native ipv6, so I haven't tried disabling those for a long time.)